First L46 spawn

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

First L46 spawn

Post by Narwhal72 »

Woo Hoo! The zebra plecos I bought at Catfish Cataclysm last year have finally spawned. My first L46 spawn.

Any idea how long until eggs hatch? I don't want to disturb the male by checking on them until after hatching.

Andy
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: First L46 spawn

Post by bekateen »

Congratulations, Andy!
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Congratulations Andy!
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Congrats- it should be just the first of many because the hardest part is having them start.

They can hatch in anywhere from about 3 to 7 days depending on temp. etc. Contrary to what many folks do, I have always been way to curious/worried not to check them one or two time a day. I have a small flashlight for this. I often find dad will work so well to hide the eggs that it isn't until they are wigglers that I spot them.

Often new dads may accidentally boot viable eggs. I have always used a turkey baster to get them back into the cave in such cases.

When do you think you will post a vid of you doing the happy fish dance? :d
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Thanks everyone. I also like checking them with a flashlight every day. Wasn't sure if it would spook the male the first time and he kicks the eggs out.

Water temp is 89 degrees. I will check on them again Tuesday and see where they are.

Andy
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am not so sure abut the 89F part. I have wrestled with this over the years. I have had mine at 90F+ during the dry season. However, when we consider how things work in nature and if we believe that zebras are indeed seasonal spawners, then we must also consider what happens temperature wise.

The water temp. builds over the dry season hitting its peak close to the point where the seasons change. With the spring rains and mountain water rushing in over a fairly short period, spawns at this time should result in fry being raised for their first few months in relatively cooler water. They have time to grow some before they are faced with their first dry season and the warmest seasonal temps.

If anybody can clarify the above in terms of being reasonable or off base, please chime in.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

I got the temperature advice from Barbie. Seems to keep them happy so I haven't changed it. But maybe some seasonal change would be good.

Bad news though today. The cave was abandoned and all the eggs are gone. I took a quick look last night and the eggs were still there but they didn't have the nice yellow orange color of other pleco eggs. They looked pale and offwhite (but not wholly opaque). Maybe they weren't fertilized?

Andy
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have learned never to argue with Barbie :-O

Eggs that color are not fertile.
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

That's what I thought. That's not unusual for first spawns with young fish though so I am not that disappointed. I am more relieved that I now know I have males and at least one female. I was a little worried my group was all males.

Andy
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Thought I'd chime in. I don't think rains drive a particular amount of nutrient or cooler water in the Xingu - there are no mountains. What determines how hot the water is is depth. It's shallower / warmer when there is less water and vice versa. The xingu is so complex that I think they're geared towards not being heavily triggered by any one factor. If anything it's DO ro current rather than temp (directly). I think also that when the river is deeper (in wet season) there are a lot more places for other plecos to live and so the pressure on breeding caves abates.

Jools
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I use the warmer temperature to condition them, but I do make it cyclical. Once the fish look like weebles, I back it down to 86 or so and do some RO changes. Zebra eggs are not as yellow as other pleco eggs. Males sometimes need practice and are famous for leaving the cave to try to get lucky again and the new female eats her competitions gene pool and uses it to make more eggs of her own. He will figure it out. If he doesn't, and he keeps making it just a couple days, I will sometimes move the male and his cave into a terrarium with a lid that I submerge in the tank so no one can get in with him. It usually solves the problem. Make sure plenty of flow is getting through it though!

Barbie
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Thanks for the advice Barbie!

Andy
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I always get curious when I read this sort of stuff, so I went looking for information about the head waters of the Xingu and temperature information. Here is what I found:

322: Xingu

Author
Jennifer Hales, Paulo Petry
http://www.feow.org/ecoregions/details/xingu

Here are two quick excerpts:
The headwaters below 10ºS are nestled between the Serra Formosa and Serra do Roncador in a depression characterized by extensive wetlands that are periodically flooded. This area contains lakes, marshes, and seasonally flooded forests and savannas. Compared to downriver where nutrient levels are low, the headwater basin is more nutrient-rich, supporting a greater diversity of herbaceous aquatic vegetation and mollusks.
Fish Fauna
...........The characoid fauna of the Upper Xingu headwaters are more similar to the Guiana Shield than to Central Amazonia. These headwater streams have fewer species, but they are widespread and able to withstand low oxygen and lower temperatures.
From that paper it is clear the headwaters are cooler, but not hugely so. So I am not sure how different the temperature might be by the time the rainy season water hits the Big Bend. What I am curious about in the headwaters is this information
Compared to downriver where nutrient levels are low, the headwater basin is more nutrient-rich, supporting a greater diversity of herbaceous aquatic vegetation and mollusks.
What happens to during the water's journey downstream to lower the nutrient levels by the time it reaches the Big Bend?
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Round two has started. Male has a female trapped in the cave today.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”