L173 Spawn

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: L173 Spawn

Post by TwoTankAmin »

The fry went back into the tank tonight. I am selling at the NEC this weekend and I am running short of sleep preparing. So I figured they would fare better in the big tank. I am too busy to do cave checks this week.

As an aside- when pulling L450s for the event I discovered I have been getting a heck of a lot more spawns than I realized. I must gave left 50-75 fry .5 -.75 inch TL plus a few a tad smaller. There was also a dad on eggs. The Repashy really sets these guys off.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A quick update- I was able to spot three of the fry on Tuesday hiding together in a space where the bigger ones would not fit. For how I have most tanks scaped, this is almost a miracle. I consider this a good sign that most of the fry should be alive even if I do not see them.

I have not seen any indications of more spawning in the past couple of weeks. I am getting spawns in a number of my other pleco tanks.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
amazonaquatics
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 10 (i:0, p:130)
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Rhode Island

Post by amazonaquatics »

Great work! Put me on the fry list for the future! ;)
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Time for an update.

Yesterday late afternoon I was doing weekly maint. on this tank. Both this week and last during cleaning fry came out. Things have been a bit hectic around here and even though I noticed this last week, it did not register until I saw it again this week. Some of the fry I was seeing were clearly too small to have been from the spawn I reported in this thread. The adults must have spawned again, but I never spotted this.

Two things have me confused here. The first spawn should have put on a bit of size now, yet I cannot seem to spot bigger fry, only the smaller ones. This may be normal since very young fry are always curious when I clean their tank. As the flow starts to diminish and then stop, they will come out into the open. This behavior only lasts for a very few weeks and then they seem to learn about the risks of being exposed. So I very well may have larger fry I do not see.

The other curiosity I have noticed in this tank is that the fish do not seem to cave very much. I did get the first spawn from a cave, but, since then, I have not had another spawn I spotted in a cave. What I have noticed for some time now is there are a few places in the tank where the fish have rearranged the sand to create a "custom" cave-like space. There are at least 3 such spaces for sure. But there is also wood and some slate structures which would work as spawning caves "in a pinch." All of these hiding spaces are difficult or impossible to see into. So it is entirely possible that another spawn has taken place out of sight. The only way to get a definitive idea of what is up means breaking down the tank to see what is in there. The obvious problem is that this would risk interrupting potential extended spawning if it is ongoing.

Since revising my feeding regimen in pleco tanks I have been getting a lot of spawns. The problem is I am running out of space for growout. Salvation will come in a couple of weeks when it becomes safe to set up summer tanks on the screened in terrace. I cannot maintain proper water temps. there if the start being under 60F overnight.
amazonaquatics

Post by amazonaquatics »

Very interesting. Glad you got another spawn. Any pics of the adults?
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

@amazonaquatics

There are pictures in the original thread I started on these fish when I first got them.
https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=42699
amazonaquatics

Post by amazonaquatics »

They are beautiful. Hope you have fry to spread around soon!
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Bear in mind that the adult fish are not mine, they are on loan. The deal is half of any fry are mine and half go to the owners of the fish who do not get involved with working at spawning fish.

However, I do also have a second group of F1 173s in growout. With luck I might finally see some action from them by year's end. My experience with the Hypans with which I have worked is that the 173 seem to take the most time to hit spawning size/age.

The best part about having the two groups is that it taught me why there are not more of this L number circulating in the hobby. I had the opportunity to observe both adults and near adult fish as well as juveniles developing into adults. One thing I know for sure, if you put a bunch of 173 fry in front of me with no information, I would have no idea they were 173s. As they grew, I would be saying the same thing for many months. At some stage in their growth I would likely have thought some might be zebras and others l236.

Not until they go through the final stage of changing their stripes (so to speak) does their patterning evolve into the jagged form you see in the pics in the thread I linked.

At this time I am actually pushing the limits regarding tank space. I keep checking the weather reports hoping it has become safe to set up temporary summer tanks outside (but under cover) to deal with things.
amazonaquatics

Post by amazonaquatics »

Very interesting information. There goes to show you that some Hypancistrus, you'll never know what they turn into (pattern wise) until they hit the adult stages.

I just started concentrating on breeding again after a long break and I just pulled L470 wigglers out of dads cave. Tanks a 20 long and it's kind of over crowded so I didn't want to take a chance of losing fry once they left dads cave. This is my first L470 spawn so I'm interested in seeing what pattern variations I get out of this batch of 16.
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would also like to mention something here that probably belongs in my old L173b thread as much as here. I have had several spawns from mine and they have had some time to grow. So far none of my offspring suggest to me that they are L173. I have seen some unusual patterns but nothing that would lead me to believe they are actually morphs of 173 who should throw some offspring that look typical of that L number.

While Glaser has pretty good reputation, I am not sure they were correct in what they called their fish. This may have been the breeder or it could have been Glaser. I highly doubt it was the person who got them for me from Glaser.

But I will offer this caveat to other interested in this species. If you are acquiring them a younger stage of their development. unless you hare very experienced and highly educated in the appropriate areas, you will have no clue what you are being sold. In order to confirm that my F1 L173 were indeed that, it took two very well known experts from Europe to look at them and chat before i got confirmation from them, Even with this I will not be 100% certain for a bit longer as they are not old/big enough yet for that. The only way I can tell is when they hit that final pattern of jagged striping.
amazonaquatics

Post by amazonaquatics »

Any update?
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am in process of doing the long planned summer tank setup. I got a look at the smaller super white 236. I have not had a chance to check on the 26 larger ones in the bigger tank. Today I did a check of my F1 173 group. I still have all 14, they looked fine and were zipping around the tank after I removed all the decor. No time for pics as I had 6 tanks to clean and change the water on. The smallest was about 1.75+ inch and the biggest close to 3 inch TL.

I am hoping to have all the summer outdoor stands in place this weekend. I have something in the neighborhood of 50 L236 growing out. It is possible two of them spawned. In that case there are a few more. I will be consolidating the 173b offspring into one bigger tank. There are about 30-35 growing out and they are still spawning with some fry in the breeder tank as well.

I am getting ready to pull a lot of L450s to a grow tank. They are assorted sizes and could number from 50 to 100.

We are also doing some major upgrades to the house involving almost every room and which will require moving some tanks back and forth.

And then in the midst of all this I need to do a fry hunt in both the zebra and 173 tanks to see how many offspring of what size are in each. Only one half of the 173 fry are mine.

Needless to say I will be offering a lot of fish for sale in a couple of months.

I am very lucky with all of this. I cannot say often enough that I have no special skills beyond providing my fish a nice habitat and a proper diet. My plecos get 60% Repashy, 30% Frozen and the last 10% is commercial food when I have no time or leave food for others to feed because I am away away. I credit that 90% of their diet and the water conditions for the spawning. I am doing no dry/rainy season simulations at all.
amazonaquatics

Post by amazonaquatics »

Everything seems to be going well! If you sell any L173 fry please let me know, I know you don't have many since only half are yours. Also I'm interested in L173b too. Let me know thanks
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I just started to work on the 173 tank and noticed a tail wagging inside the cave. Got my trusty egg and fry illuminator (flashlight). I spotted a loose brand new wiggler on a big egg. The cave is not tilted back, so I went for a piece of slate to put under the front. In the process one wiggler rolled out, A few minutes with an airline and a baster and it was back in the cave.

Doing my happy pleco dance :banana-dreads:

Edit 7/14 for spelling and grammar
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on 14 Jul 2017, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

July 2nd must be my lucky day. Just finished cleaning a 173b growout tanks and discovered an F2 fry. I did not think the oldest were big enough to spawn.

I would do another dance, but my legs are too tired from the first one. :-BD
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on 14 Jul 2017, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
amazonaquatics

Post by amazonaquatics »

I'll do the dancing for you!! Great work!! I want both species :)
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Just did a fast check- able to see a fry that is close to or fully free swimming. I really need to do a fry hunt pretty soon. I have more plecos in my tanks than ever before, it has to be 300 or more. (Most are offspring).

I am thinking as it gets to be closer to the end of summer when I will resume shipping that I should have a Planet Catfish Sale where I would donate 10% of all sales to the site.
amazonaquatics

Post by amazonaquatics »

Let me know what you have available!
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics
amazonaquatics

Post by amazonaquatics »

Let me know what you have available! ;)
Joe M.
Amazon Aquatics
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Wonderful success, TTA! Congratulations, :-)

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

TY @bekateen

I will try to put together a thread in the for sale area in the not too distant future. I know I am in trouble when I have not been moving fish out fast enough such that I start to get new fry in grow out tanks. But this puts me in the unique position of having some proven breeders available. I see this for 173b and maybe 236s. It is also possible to have 450s produce a young f1 breeding group as well.

What I would love to do is work with somebody to organize some form of pictorial or video of the development of the 173. I have had the great fortune of being able to observe these fish from egg to spawning now and it is one of the more unique situations I have seen within the world of wormline/B&W Hypancistrus.

It is difficult to ID these guys as 173 until they get pretty old because they really do change their stripes radically between birth and adulthood. There was no way I could say for sure that my F1 group were in fact 173 until recently when the first of them began to have its patterning shift towards its "final" configuration. I have actually seen 173 that looked pretty close to being zebras for a while unless one looked at them really closely.

I am about ready to transition into my down sizing plans next year. The last part of the build up to this is the super white 236s I have growing out. I am still not certain what I have with them. Some look unimpressive while others look like they will turn out quite interesting and unique. I lost one of the 16 in the small tank but have not yet done a recount in the bigger tank.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I just did a tank breakdown to check things out. The good news is all 10 173 breeders are alive and well. The bad news is I only pulled 14 offspring. This is about ½ of what I expected. I think I must have lost a bunch because I had eye surgery the end of may and had some complications and then July 4th night I ended up in the hospital for two days and needed a couple more to recover at home. There is also the possibility there was some predation.

The fry were clearly different sizes leading me to believe there were as many as 3 spawns. However, it may only have been 2. I am moving all the fry to their own grow out tank.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Either I miscounted or I lost a tiny one. When I went to remove the only 4 I will sell this year, the count was 13. I thought I should start a new thread and see if folks could guess what the fisch were pictured below. But what the heck, they are 173.
173wcfry1.jpg
173wcfry2.jpg
173wcfry2.jpg (24.92 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
173wcfry3.jpg
173wcfry3.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
173wcfry5.jpg
173wcfry5.jpg (17.2 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
173wcfry7.jpg
173wcfry7.jpg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

173wcfry8.jpg
173wcfry8.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
I have a vid of the fry I cannot figure out how to upload :(
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Hi TTA,
The babies look terrific! :-BD

Unfortunately you cannot upload videos directly here. You need to have a YouTube account and upload the video there. Then YouTube will give you an address for the video and you put it here inside YouTube tags.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Unfortunately, the YouTube route is not available to me because I am not registered with Google (and have no intention doing so). I use a paid site for my pictures and they are also supposed to host videos. I tried to upload it there and for some reason it failed. I do not have the time or desire to find what I need to do make it work at this time. Also, I have no software for editing video and no experience in that area. I hope that eventually Rachel will get them uploaded.

The good news is I can deal with the still pictures.
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

TwoTankAmin wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 14:16I hope that eventually Rachel will get them uploaded.
Here ya go TTA. Rachel posted these videos.

Cheers, Eric

Direct YouTube links:

SUPER Rare Pleco field trip- A day in the life of a Fish Pimp

RARE Zebra type Pleco! L173

TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

@bekateen
TY Eric for the heads up. I had not seen the 173 vid yet. Life here is a bit nuts and fish are taking a temporary back seat for the most part.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have a real dilemma with which I could use some feedback. I have 10 wild caught L173 which I do not own but was "loaned" to spawn, which I managed to do. I have reported about this in this thread and vids are on YouTube. These were spotted by an overseas Asian breeder who figured out who owned the fish. The result was the owner was made an insane offer for the fish. He wants me to keep them and offered to sell them to me for a lower, but still insane price. I do not want to talk numbers, so I will just say that, for the price per fish I am being asked to pay, I could instead buy 5 large zebra plecos.

I would love some feedback on what is a realistic price to pay for a proven breeding colony of 10 WC L173?

In addition, to help pay for them I would have to sell half of my F1 group of 14 L173s which I purchased about 20 months ago and which should be spawnable sometime next year. So what are these fish worth?

Since this Hypan. is so difficult to find (it took me years to get them), I have no real idea what they are worth. I know what I would pay for them were I a buyer, but that likely bears no relation to what is a fair market price. I am not asking if anyone would or would not buy them at any given price, but what they are probably worth on the open market.

Last observation- I have a very short window to make a decision. I was supposed to have done so over the weekend, I am going to ask for a little more time.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

An adult pair of nice looking L173 go up to 500€ in Germany from what I could grasp now.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”