Pleco ID

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
7Pete
My cats species list: 15 (i:11, k:0)
Location 2: FIN

Pleco ID

Post by 7Pete »

Not my fish. These species are not familiar to me. Ancistomus? L147 seems quite close, but I wouldn't be sure. In my opinion this one has nicer coloration and more contrast than L147. These ind. were all sold as Para Pleco.

Pleco 1.

These are "real" L147? Two females?

Pleco 2 and 3.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: Pleco ID

Post by catfishchaos »

Do you any collection information?

can't really help with the IDs from that genus however I also can't seem to tell the gender of your fish which I usually don't struggle with- Fish #1 has a very female head however it looks like it has decent odontode development on the body and on the pectoral fins. Fish 2 and 3 have male heads and female bodies although the angle isn't from directly over head. If they are males they are certainly well fed.

Sorry I can't be much help, hopefully some who does will chime in.
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

does look like a good ID. But I also don't know if there's a better match. Your fish looks more orange than I would expect for L147. The orange color made me think of , but the spotting pattern isn't right.

I'm still inclined toward L147.

By the way, my LFS recently received L147 from a wholesaler when the invoice said "butterfly pleco." Obviously that wasn't correct. You can see photos of that fish here: ID Please? For sale at LFS as butterfly pleco. And as I look back at that thread, the L147 was also somewhat orange color.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
7Pete

Post by 7Pete »

As i said these are not my fish, but I think the most interesting thing is that there is no similar fish in L-catalogs(with pictures) as pleco number 1. Of course there is color/pattern variation but I wouldn't say it's the same L-number.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

To be honest, I feel fish number 1 is a L387. His small spots stop at the eyes. But L147 has small spots back to the dorsal fin.

What I am way more curious about are the other 2 fish. Can you get a picture of their caudal fins? looks like the caudal is spotted as well?

It's no typical L147 on any of those pictures, if you ask me.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

Last two are L147's... same as mine are and look female. Female or they are just blotted I should say. First one isn't a L147 and could be L387 like Jobro said. Here is some pictures of a younger L147 (around 2") and a breeding pair. Obviously the pair is a little stressed and isn't showing the best color but you should be able to see how they match the two in your pictures.

HTH
Chuck
Attachments
IMG_0293_opt.jpg
IMG_0295_opt.jpg
IMG_0322_opt.jpg
IMG_0562_opt.jpg
7Pete

Post by 7Pete »

Jobro wrote: 12 Feb 2017, 07:59 To be honest, I feel fish number 1 is a L387. His small spots stop at the eyes. But L147 has small spots back to the dorsal fin.

What I am way more curious about are the other 2 fish. Can you get a picture of their caudal fins? looks like the caudal is spotted as well?

It's no typical L147 on any of those pictures, if you ask me.
Nice. L387 seems to look the same. Earlier when I was browsing L-numbers I actually opened a link of L387's Cat-eLog data sheet, but didn't watch other pictures which showed same coloration as this topic's fish.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

stuby wrote: 12 Feb 2017, 17:25 Last two are L147's... same as mine are and look female. Female or they are just blotted I should say. First one isn't a L147 and could be L387 like Jobro said. Here is some pictures of a younger L147 (around 2") and a breeding pair. Obviously the pair is a little stressed and isn't showing the best color but you should be able to see how they match the two in your pictures.

HTH
Chuck
The pattern on those two seem to be different from yours, especially on the tail stock. maybe they get like this when they grow older? Or maybe just another colour variation. Or maybe just my eyes :D
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

Jobro wrote: 13 Feb 2017, 16:20
stuby wrote: 12 Feb 2017, 17:25 Last two are L147's... same as mine are and look female. Female or they are just blotted I should say. First one isn't a L147 and could be L387 like Jobro said. Here is some pictures of a younger L147 (around 2") and a breeding pair. Obviously the pair is a little stressed and isn't showing the best color but you should be able to see how they match the two in your pictures.

HTH
Chuck
The pattern on those two seem to be different from yours, especially on the tail stock. maybe they get like this when they grow older? Or maybe just another colour variation. Or maybe just my eyes :D
With L147 they go from wide striped bodies when young to spotted bodies when they get older..... it changes to spots starting with the neck area and works it's way down. As far as the color differences..... that is due to stress and I am sure my picture taking. Never said I was good at taking pictures! Here is a couple more pictures that are more like the ones in question.

HTH
Chuck
Attachments
DSC00361.JPG
DSC00070.JPG
7Pete

Post by 7Pete »

I got another piece (sorry pic quality). Looks like stuby's fishes above. Sold as L124 too. L006 looks a bit same too.
L147.jpg
Edit. This actually can be L124. Looked more closely of L124 pattern variations.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”