Rio Demini - what species are found in this river?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Cydone
Location 1: Denmark
Location 2: Denmark

Rio Demini - what species are found in this river?

Post by Cydone »

I've been researching for some months now, after a ten year hiatus away from the hobby. I still have much catching up to do! But, I'm getting close to a better understanding, at least of what kind of setup I want to go for.

The idea right now is to build a biotope up around a small group of L114 from Rio Demini. (The footprint of the aquarium is 180x80) The info I have at the moment, is that these Loricariidae are caught in Rio Demini. In fact, an article in Amazonas Jan-feb, speaks of a local fisherman, saying that L114 are almost exclusively caught in the rootangles of the Astrocaryum jauari palm tree, a few days up from Barcelos.

Where I am still at a complete loss, is what else we know of that inhabits these waterways. I know that the L168 are caught here too. (elog says Peckoltia Braueri and L095) But what about Corydoras? My research says that the closest to Rio Demini would be Duplicares/Adolfoi/Robineae, but they are caught some 1000kms further up Rio Negro.

Could you guys help? What else do the locals find in and around these waterways?

Thanks
Thomas
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rio Demini - what species are found in this river?

Post by Silurus »

This document covers your area of interest and may help.
Cydone

Post by Cydone »

Thanks.

I also found the entire catfish Atlas vol 1 here: https://books.google.dk/books?id=iAiNaV ... UQ6AEIMDAD

Incredibly rich in detail.
Cydone

Post by Cydone »

I realize now that Rio Demini is actually a clear water river, at least the upper parts of it. (Catfish Atlas vol 1. p. 89)

In the lower parts Rio Araca flows into it, making it slightly more "black waterish".

A big surprise to me, reading the catfish atlas, is that In the lower section of Rio Demini, the riverbed is covered in volcanic rock, and not sand/bogwood, that I have come to expect.

I wonder why we consider L114 to be a blackwater pleco, since it lives almost exclusively in what is considered a clear water river, albeit very close to Rio Negro.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”