Zebra Otos at last

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Paul Sabucchi
Location 1: Adriatic Coast
Location 2: Italy

Zebra Otos at last

Post by Paul Sabucchi »

Hi, I have kept a few Otocinclus macrospilus in my comunity tank for the last 2 years. As last september I set up a 15 gal tank for Crystal Red Shrimp and having read that the two species should have compatible requirements I waited a few months for the tank to age and grow some algae before ordering the zebra otos. Unfortunately my usual supplier stopped shipping as the courier will no longer transport live fish but I found another supplier. Today I got the shipment with 7 fish, they seem in reasonable shape, no sunken bellies, mix of genders (as far as I can tell), already sucking the algae off the glass. The tank is 50x35x35 cm. On the bottom there is Prodibio Shrimp Powder Soil, planted with Anubia, Java fern, Vallisneria nana and Christmas moss, some bogwood. Parameters are pH 5.8, KH <1, 100% r.o. water remineralised with Bee Shrimp GH+ to 250 p.p.m. TDS. Filtration is by means of an Eden 501 external canister with a sponge on the intake. Fingers crossed...Ciao
Paul Sabucchi

Re: Zebra Otos at last

Post by Paul Sabucchi »

Hi again from Italy, I am happy to say that all my new zebra Otos seem to have a healty appetite and now also appear a little pot-bellied. They are doing their level best to polish clean all the glass from the algae that took months to grow. Not interested in the cucumber, will try courgette next. Any advice greatly appreciated. Ciao dall'Italia

Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Looks great,fixed up the video for you.

Cheers,

Jools
Paul Sabucchi

Post by Paul Sabucchi »

Grazie! (thank you)
jeremybasch
My images: 14
Spotted: 5
Location 1: http://amazontropics.com
Location 2: Columbus OH USA
Interests: All catfish

Post by jeremybasch »

Bellies look great based on the photo of them in the critter keeper. Just be sure to offer algae tablets or perhaps even a gel food like Repashy Gel Foods.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

They look great! I'm currently waiting for my dealer to land some of these to add to my 55 Gallon set up, its great to see them set up and doing well!

I'm honestly a little nervous about getting them since I've heard otos can be a little finicky during acclimatization and introduction so I've gone a little over board with letting the algae develop but I think it should go well since I can no longer take clear photographs of my current fish :-p

I'm looking forward to seeing some updates when they come around!
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”