Golden Nugget advice

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
wuvarien
Location 1: Surrey, UK
Location 2: surrey

Golden Nugget advice

Post by wuvarien »

Hey guys -

I got a golden nugget around 3 days ago and put him into my tank. I absolutely adore the little guy and just a little concerned for him.

I've read the forums that they're quite shy and can be hard to get feeding. Since having him he's swum around the tank sitting in various places however recently he's found his new spot on the glass at the top of the tank.

He appears healthy and not stressed, but I'm a bit concerned as I'm unsure if he's eating. I've placed cucumber in the tank which went untouched, I've placed chopped up peas at the bottom and one half has been eaten which I'm hoping was him.

What are the signs to look out for in case things don't progress?

Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Re: Golden Nugget advice

Post by Linus_Cello »

sunken belly and eyes
Are there ancistrus in the tank? They may help replenish stomach flora if the GN was overdosed with parasite meds during import.
wuvarien

Post by wuvarien »

His tank mates are a Red tail black shark and some neon tetra.

He he some drift wood that he went on the first day and now he's currently under the plant. I've read so many horror stories about these guys refusing to eat I'm just a tad concerned he may turn out the same.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Belly looks ok in the mirror image from what I can tell. What are your water temps? Is there enough aeriation? Like the filter outlet disturbing the surface nicely, etc.

Try giving him a "meaty" option. A frozen shrimp or mussel. You should be able to buy them in any supermarket. Make sure they are pure without any other ingredients. Frozen Artemia/Brineshrimp will work as well, as long as it won't get sucked into the filtration.

Make sure there is a nice hiding place, especially under the driftwood.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
wuvarien wrote: 08 Mar 2017, 18:06 His tank mates are a Red tail black shark and some neon tetra.

He he some drift wood that he went on the first day and now he's currently under the plant. I've read so many horror stories about these guys refusing to eat I'm just a tad concerned he may turn out the same.
He might be having territorial issues with the Red tail Black Shark.

cheers Darrel
wuvarien

Post by wuvarien »

dw1305 wrote: 08 Mar 2017, 21:36 Hi all,
wuvarien wrote: 08 Mar 2017, 18:06 His tank mates are a Red tail black shark and some neon tetra..
He might be having territorial issues with the Red tail Black Shark.

cheers Darrel
I thought this, but watching them the RTBS hasn't been bothering any of the fish and keeps himself to a small sunken ship.
Jobro wrote: 08 Mar 2017, 19:36 Belly looks ok in the mirror image from what I can tell. What are your water temps? Is there enough aeriation? Like the filter outlet disturbing the surface nicely, etc.

Try giving him a "meaty" option. A frozen shrimp or mussel. You should be able to buy them in any supermarket. Make sure they are pure without any other ingredients. Frozen Artemia/Brineshrimp will work as well, as long as it won't get sucked into the filtration.

Make sure there is a nice hiding place, especially under the driftwood.
The temp is currently 27 degrees, The filter hits the surface of the water moving everything around.

Stupid question but I'd assume putting the meaty option anywhere in the tank would be ok, and he'll hunt it out?
I have two large'ish pieces of driftwood in the tank.

Thank you for all the advise so far :)
wuvarien

Post by wuvarien »

Just an update for you all!

GN is currently happily munching on a bit of Cucumber :D

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”