Otocinclus food preferences

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
cdarminio
Location 1: 'Merica
Location 2: CT

Otocinclus food preferences

Post by cdarminio »

A few days ago I bought a nice school of 10 otocinclus for my 30 gallon tank which has been set up for quite some time. There was algae everywhere: on the rocks, wood, glass, etc. As expected the otos have been gorging on the algae. Every morning I see clusters of tiny poops which I assume is from them because it wasn't there prior to their introduction.

I've recently tried feeding them blanched cucumber, since I anticipate them finishing the algae quite soon. However I haven't seen them touch it, even though it's been almost 2 days now.

My question is: since there is still algae in the tank, will the otos prefer this over the cucumber, and only eat the cucumber once the algae is gone.

Beside cucumber, what other vegetables do otos normally devour? In the future I'll be trying peas and zucchini.
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Re: Otocinclus food preferences

Post by pleco_breeder »

With Otocinclus, I normally had the best luck with a mix of algae wafers, kale, and dandelion leaves. I always try to limit the amount of kale fed, but in the case of this genus and a few other closely related it definitely seemed to help keep them in top shape when only fed once a week.
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
b.reder
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: San Diego
Location 2: Calif.

Post by b.reder »

I always try to limit the amount of kale fed
Why? Kale seems to be quite nutritious.... at least for humans. Thanks.

-Barry
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Post by Mol_PMB »

Mine eat a variety of leafy veg such as spinach, leaf beet. They also love red bell peppers.
The favourite food for my Otos (and Farlowellas) is Repashy gel, a mix of soilent green, morning wood and chlorella/spirulina powder. I mix up a pot then dip some twigs into it to create 'lollipops'. They can then feed off the surface of the wood.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
cdarminio wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 14:33I've recently tried feeding them blanched cucumber, since I anticipate them finishing the algae.......Beside cucumber, what other vegetables do otos normally devour? In the future I'll be trying peas and zucchini.
Mol_PMB wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 07:49 Mine eat a variety of leafy veg such as spinach, leaf beet. They also love red bell peppers.
The favourite food for my Otos (and Farlowellas) is Repashy gel, a mix of soilent green, morning wood and chlorella/spirulina powder. I mix up a pot then dip some twigs into it to create 'lollipops'. They can then feed off the surface of the wood.
I use a rubber band to hold the vegetables against a vertical bamboo cane. Like Mol_PMB says Otocinclus like to rest on twigs etc, and then feed from a surface away from the tank substrate.

Mine also feed from/on? the surfaces of dead leaves. After I've fed microworms and fine spirulina or Astax crumb they will show more interest grazing from the leaves of Amazon Sword plants, so I assume they are eating this as well.

You don't need to blanch the cucumber (or any other vegetables), as suggested mine like green leaf vegetables, Zucchini ("Courgette") and Red Bell pepper ("Capsicum").

cheers Darrel
cdarminio
Location 1: 'Merica
Location 2: CT

Post by cdarminio »

It seems my otos have been eating the algae tabs and nori seaweed I put in the tank after the lights go out. Every morning they are plump and the food is missing. I will still try to supplement this with fresh veg, but was wondering if they need any protein from meat (ex: Shrimp, bloodworms)?
pleco_breeder

Post by pleco_breeder »

b.reder wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 01:22
I always try to limit the amount of kale fed
Why? Kale seems to be quite nutritious.... at least for humans. Thanks.

-Barry
In part this may be a slight superstition on my part, but early experience seemed to back up statements which went through the hobby during the mid-90's that the amount of iron in kale caused kidney issues in Loricariidae if fed in excess. It is VERY nutritious even for fish, and the vitamin C content is exceptional (a known growth stimulant). However, I've seen in my own tanks that there seemed to be a mass outbreak of bloating in tanks which I fed too often with it. We're not talking fat fish, this was more akin to dropsy. For that reason, I tend to limit the frequency even though I know that fish grow exceptionally well when fed with it.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

So, kale is very rich, and some fishes are better not fed with too rich a food - right?
cats have whiskers
pleco_breeder

Post by pleco_breeder »

Bas Pels wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 20:54 So, kale is very rich, and some fishes are better not fed with too rich a food - right?
I think it's fine for occasional use, and appears to be very beneficial. Maybe a better way of saying it would be "too much of a good thing" or "everything in moderation". I don't want anyone to think I'm saying don't use it because I use it myself. I'm just very particular to do so sparingly.

Larry Vires

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”