What is a pleco?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fmueller
Location 1: Kent, OH
Location 2: Kent, OH, USA
Interests: Visit www.fmueller.com to find out!

What is a pleco?

Post by fmueller »

I recently ran into somebody who claims that a bristlenose catfish is not a pleco.

Of course it's not a common pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus), but the term pleco is more widely used for all suckermouth catfish / members of the family Loricariidae. Bristlenose catfish are Ancistrus sp., Ancistrus is a genus in the family Loricariidae, which makes bristlenose catfish plecos.

Am I wrong?
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Re: What is a pleco?

Post by panaque »

You’re not wrong
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

You are wrong, but only because I'm being pernickety. :-) The term pleco is most accurately used to describe a handful of sub-families within the Loricariidae, so Pleco does not equal Loricariidae. Almost exclusively, today Pleco = . One also wouldn't call a a pleco.

Some older background which is less nuanced and supports your view: https://www.planetcatfish.com/shaneswor ... +Say+Pleco

Jools
fmueller
Location 1: Kent, OH
Location 2: Kent, OH, USA
Interests: Visit www.fmueller.com to find out!

Post by fmueller »

Thanks! I am an old guy, so I'll go with the old background! :-)
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

another thing that IMHO is definitely wrong is this:
fmueller wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 08:22 common pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus)
Hypostomus plecostomus is not at all common (in the hobby), but the so-called "common pleco" is regularly mis-identified as Hypostomus plecostomus which is more or less not available in the pet trade.
At least this is my understanding that you use the term "common pleco" usually for Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus/pardalis.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

The problem with the term "common pleco," at least in the U.S., is that it is basically a term used for any non-descript brownish member of Hypostominae. It is not a common name for a specific species, but more of a term to distinguish "common" plecos versus "fancy" plecos.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Or, maybe the use of the term pleco evolved because of our love to shorten/simplify everything. When was the last time anybody went for a computerized axial tomography scan? My last CAT scan was in August. It is the same reason L numbers are used more often than common or even identified names. Only scientists love the long stuff :p

When was the last time you told somebody you keep sucker mouth catfish from S. America rather than plecos or corydoras instead of corys? We humans like to keep things short and simple if we can.

If we can come up with a way to shorten things or to reduce them to simple abbreviations, we do. Texting is reducing us to just single letters and tiny images, Maybe in decade we will all communicate in single letters and emojis. Isn't that what the ancient Egyptians did 1,000s of years ago?
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

And don't even start on "pl*co." Glad that's long gone. :))

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”