C.Sterbai info

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
minkweir
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:0)
Location 2: East Sussex

C.Sterbai info

Post by minkweir »

Hi,I was wondering whether anyone can give me some info on living/water conditions for C.Sterbai please? I'm sure I read here that they can withstand higher temperature than some other corys.But when I went to the catelog theres no info plus it says no one has bred them yet.
regards Donna
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Re: C.Sterbai info

Post by pleco_breeder »

I have a small group, 2 female and 3 male, that are spawning daily. I haven't bothered pulling any of the eggs because I'm working on renovations in the fish room and short on tank space till it's done. The temperature in that rack stays a constant 82-83 degrees.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
minkweir

Post by minkweir »

Thnx for the info,I have 2 males and a female that are spawning too but my problem is they lay all their eggs on the glass and I dont know how to remove them to a fry net.Temp 78.
regards Donna
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
pleco_breeder

Post by pleco_breeder »

My experience with the sterbai is that they tend to lay their eggs either in, or behind, a spawning mop hung in one corner of the tank from the rim. I'm hopeful a few will manage to hatch and survive in the adult tank, but not really expecting as much. When I'm actively raising any cory, I simply use a fingernail to roll them off the wall and put them into a small tank for hatching and initial grow-out. It may sound a bit odd, but I don't trim my right index finger quite as close for this specific purpose :ymblushing: Mops are moved to the same tank with their siblings.

Larry
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Mine lays eggs on the glass all the time [well a couple of times a week at least]. That may of course be because I don't have a spawning mop in the tank... ;) Unfortunately, tetras kept in the same tank are eating most eggs...

I usually just roll the eggs onto my finger and roll them back onto the glass in the fry-tank. I've got about 12 of them at the moment in the fry tank, and some larger ones.

--
Mats
minkweir

Post by minkweir »

I've not used spawning mops,how should I place 1 in the tank...on the bottom or hanging from top?...so far any eggs not laid on the glass were on oak leaf,java fern or anubas and I simply placed the leaves in a fry net.So far I have 9 c.longpin,14 c.aeneus and 3 c.paleatus babies.But the c.sterbai only lay on the glass and my c.pygmeus have been spawning but theyre in a 4foot community tank.
regards Donna
pleco_breeder

Post by pleco_breeder »

I make most of mine long enough to miss the tank bottom by about an inch and the ones I have in the sterbai tank are hung from the rim. They do still lay eggs in other parts of the tank, but the vast majority end up in, or around, the mop.

Larry
minkweir

Post by minkweir »

Thnx...so I need to mpurchase a long spawning mop? Any suggestions? :YMHUG:
pleco_breeder

Post by pleco_breeder »

I just use green acrylic yarn. Wrap it around a small book, the old TFH CO series books are good for this, several times. I usually wrap 40-50 times, but it all depends how full you want the mop. On the top edge, tie another piece of yarn around it to hold it in place. Make sure to leave extra yarn to tie it off to a cork, piece of PVC, or easter egg. Cut the end of the mop that you didn't tie, and you have a spawning mop. I know it sounds a bit out of the ordinary, but closing the loose end in one of the plastic easter eggs makes a perfect float. Most of the time, if you buy a pre-made one, this is what you get anyway.

Larry
Sweety
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Northumberland, UK

Post by Sweety »

If the eggs are bing place on a broad leaf just cut the leaf off & put it into you fry tank,I used to have to do this with a couple of pair of angle fish I had & used to weigh the leaf down with a little bit of slate. It saves you from having to handle the eggs but if I do have to remove them from the glass I use a pair of plastic tweezers
yannick62
Location 1: Near Lille
Location 2: France
Interests: Keeping tropical fish
Ice hockey

Post by yannick62 »

all informations here are very intresting.
My difficulty is next to the hatching.

I put eggs in breeding box on the glass of adult tank.
2-3 days after the hatching, i give banana worms, adult granular in powder.
I inhale(suck up) every day waste in the 1 liter tank.

But My babies died one by one during 7 days.
Why ?
the water which change ? the food ?

If they live after 7 days the end of the growing is easy.

Is it possible to explain me what is my mistakes ?

Thanks you for your help.

yannick62
Yannick Mesnage
France (North near Lille)
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Post by Corycory »

I put eggs in breeding box on the glass of adult tank.
That's why they died. These boxes despite how they are advertised, have very little flow in and out, so essentially the conditions inside become very bad, especially considering the amount of food that goes in to feed the fry.
I've raised fry in a breeder box, but I flushed all the water several times daily. Mine had holes at the bottom so that was easy to do as I just lifted the box out of the water except for the bottom inch and a half where the fry were, and then pushed it back down so water from the tank would fill it back up. I had the bottom covered in sand so the fry don't get flushed through the holes too. Also cory fry are best raised on a layer of sand because clear bottom develops bacteria that may harm them.

Other than that, I'd get a spare tank, cycle it well first, then raise the fry in it. Conditions in fry tanks can get way worse than in normal tanks because of the amount of food one needs to give them daily, so plenty of water changes are essential.
yannick62
Ice hockey

Post by yannick62 »

thanks you corycory for your help.

I will try to breed my next fry in a little 3 gallons tank.
I will see if i don't loss my babies corydoras betwwen 2 and 15 days.

Yannick
Yannick Mesnage
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Post by Corycory »

You should have very few losses if

1. water quality is very good(monitor your ph as lots of food, leads to lots of nitrification, leads to a kh drop, leads to a ph drop, then one starts doing water changes, Ph swings back up, another shock, leads to corys gasping at the surface, death, barbell erosion, etc....., it's not just about ammonia and nitrite being 0.)

2. they get proper and enough of food to eat 2-3 times a day, make sure it's on the substrate, not floating in the water. Mine grew up fine on powder dry food. There are plenty of quality food out there for fry these days but I used tetra baby. Later when larger which was only a 4-6 weeks after hatching, I started giving them other stuff additionally.
yannick62
Ice hockey

Post by yannick62 »

Thanks you very very much for your help.
I succed 2 fry of corydoras paleatus.

The first I obtained 25 eggs and 15 babies who don't dead.....
And the second fry with 2 females and 6 males I obtain 105 babies..... They have 2 week and i haven't got any problem.

My mistacke was the breeding box..... The water go in and out but not enough to have a good quality of water.
I have use 2 times a little 3 gallons tank without problem.

Now, I will breed 120 babies until adult age.

Thanks you very much for your help.

Yannick
Yannick Mesnage
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

:-BD Congratulations! :YMPARTY:
Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
yannick62
Ice hockey

Post by yannick62 »

Aftr the paleatus, i want to try sterbai.
I have 14 fish wha have 2 years old but they refused to spaw.
I will try the same systeme like Cory Paleatus.
Yannick Mesnage
Marine590622
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:60)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Madison Wi, USA
Location 2: Madison WI, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping

Post by Marine590622 »

for the sterbai if you have a tank to hatch them out in hang a clean terra cotta flower pot in front of the outflow of your filter. You would be surprised how often fish that lay eggs on glass will switch to a clean flower pot.
PabloG
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Argentina, Buenos Aires
Location 2: Merlo
Interests: All corydoras species.
Aquaculture

Post by PabloG »

Marine590622: do you see this only with Sterbai?
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Marine590622 wrote:for the sterbai if you have a tank to hatch them out in hang a clean terra cotta flower pot in front of the outflow of your filter. You would be surprised how often fish that lay eggs on glass will switch to a clean flower pot.
Hi Marine590622,
When you say "hang" the flower pot, do you mean suspend it from the top of the tank (not touching the floor of the aquarium)? Or simply place it on the floor of the aquarium under the outflow? And is this pot upside-down, on its side, or right-side up (or does it matter)? Do you happen to have a photo of your setup?

Thanks,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Marine590622
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:60)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Madison Wi, USA
Location 2: Madison WI, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping

Post by Marine590622 »

bekateen wrote:
Marine590622 wrote:for the sterbai if you have a tank to hatch them out in hang a clean terra cotta flower pot in front of the outflow of your filter. You would be surprised how often fish that lay eggs on glass will switch to a clean flower pot.
Hi Marine590622,
When you say "hang" the flower pot, do you mean suspend it from the top of the tank (not touching the floor of the aquarium)? Or simply place it on the floor of the aquarium under the outflow? And is this pot upside-down, on its side, or right-side up (or does it matter)? Do you happen to have a photo of your setup?

Thanks,
Eric
I do not have a photo, but I have seen this done. Hang the pot upside down is what I have seen although I don't think it matters. Just that the hole in the bottom makes it easy to put a washer on a string and thread the string through the hole. Hang the pot in front of the outflow from the filter.
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Okay, thank you. I can imagine that. It's exactly as you originally described. My confusion came not from misunderstanding your words, but from not envisioning how that would work.

Cheers, Eric

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”