Large Corydoras?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mattfraser
Location 1: UK

Large Corydoras?

Post by mattfraser »

Hi

Are there any Corydoras that grow large?
What is the name of the largest growing corydora?
How big does it grow?

Cheers
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

I have some Corydoras pantanalensis that are over 8 cm.'s long, but I think C. robustus and some long nosed species grow even larger.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Do you mean "proper corydoras" or something that looks like a cory?

Brochis species, such as grow quite large, about 80mm SL or bigger for the more rare species like and

is another of the larger "extended cory family", at 100mm SL.

Otherwise, the largest ones of the "proper cory" are several speceis around 75 mm SL, such as .

[Moderators: Can you move this to the correct forum, as I don't think we're actually buying/selling anything at this point].

--
Mats
mattfraser

Post by mattfraser »

Basically i own some ciclids and they only get on with fish of large size!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

It would be easier if you told us the fish you want to put the Corys with.

Ian
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I agree with Ian - for the purpose of getting fish that is compatible, it's much better if we know what fish they need to get along with. For example, no Cory or near relative will go well with rift-lake cichlids, as they tend to eat the eyes and fins off the cory's. Most mid-size south-american species are OK tho'. But without knowing WHICH species, it's a guessing game, and it's quite possible that the guess goes wrong - ending you with a cichlid that is quite happy, but you and the cory very unhappy...

--
Mats
mattfraser

Post by mattfraser »

Hi

I have:

2x Oscar Ciclids (Albino)
2x Firemouth Ciclids
2x Three Spot Gouramis
3x Clown Loaches
2x Bristlenose Catfish
2x Corydoras (Honestly don't know which but they are fully grown i would say and are about 3-4cm long.

Cheers
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

With the Oscars in the tank, I would seriously think of removing the cory cats. If you like the family the cories are in, check out the hoplo cats or the porthole cats. But with the oscars I may have second thoughts.
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

When the oscars mature they are likely to have a go at pretty much everything in that tank, only the loaches & bristlenose are respectively fast & tough enough to keep out of the way. Even the firemouths may get a bit agressive towards the corys if they decide to spawn, but for the most part they "should" be fine.

If you get rid of the oscars then you will have a greater choice of fish available that will be suitable with the rest.

On the other hand if you specifically want to keep oscars then you will have to accept a limit on what other fish you can put in with them - they are simply not suitable for community tanks with smaller, more delicate fish.

btw how big is the tank?
mattfraser

Post by mattfraser »

Hi - Thanks for the replies

I have realized what your saying already and have a new home for the Corydoras very soon.
Just wondered whether there were any Corydoras that grow large enough for the Oscars not to bother them?

I need a fish that cleans the sand like the Corydoras do, the Brislenose clean plants, glass, wood, stone etc but not the top layer of sand.
Without the Corydoras i fear that my tank may become messy looking very quickly.

I do really want to keep my Oscars and know that i may have to build my tank around them.

Cheers

Matt
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Oscar's aren't "good citizens", which in turn means that you'll have to accept that Cory's (no matter how large) will most likely not have a happy life once your Oscar's grow large.

I think you can find some other, more suitable "detrivore" fish. I can't really suggest anything immediately. Some types of plecos will eat leftover food - I guess that's what you're worried about. Eartheaters will sift through the gravel, but I'm not sure if there are any suitable earth-eaters that will go well with Oscar's. I guess the earth eaters would have to be similar size and it would work out reasonably well - see below on tank-needs though - most earth eaters will like to be in a group, which doesn't help matters.

Of course, if you haven't got a HUGE tank with very sparse inhabitants at the moment, I suspect you'll have to move the Oscar's out anyways. A tank much smaller than 600 liter (and not your 2m long 600l tanks) would be unsuitable to keep even a single Oscar. You're looking for a tank that is at least 6' x 2' x 2'. [Sorry if this is upsetting you in some way, but I feel very strongly about keeping big fish in small tanks - and we frequently get posts from people who think a 200 liter tank is big enough for just about any fish.]

--
Mats
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

There is another problem besides the Oscar and that's the Clown loach, in my opinion Botias and Corys should not be in the same tank no matter how large it is, they are competing at the same level (On the bottom) and Corys are no match for any Botia regardless of size.

Ian
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

With all due respect, I disagree strongly with Ian. The size of the tank is a major issue here. I keep clown loaches and angel botia in different tanks, but if you keep the loaches and the cories in "happy group sizes" there are no issues.

By the sizes of the groups, I am saying 4 loaches and 6 cories. We have not seen any aggression besides a suicidal angel botia exploring the world outside of the tank (yes, he jumped!)

I have what appears to be 4 happy tanks. I have also put Darters that I have obtained in with loaches, and the cories and still have not seen a problem.

The only problem I have ever had with my fish being aggressive or competing for food has been when the goodeids took out my talking catfish (amblydoras hancocki) poor guy was mugged and then the came back and mugged him again!

Mattfraser:

Again, there are some larger catfish available in the hobby in the callichthyidae family, another family to look at is the doridae family. Butit is YOUR TANK, do what seems right with our suggestions...you have to look at the tank every day...we don't!

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
mattfraser

Post by mattfraser »

Hi everyone

Thanks alot for all your replies. I have re-homed my corydoras as they were small and would only be a matter of time before there was trouble.
At the moment i have a 4ft 55 gallon tank but hopefully in the next year i will be getting a 6ft tank. In otherwords the Oscars will have suffecient room.

Will keep an eye out at my LFS for any of the suggested catfish.
Thanks again for all your help, it's much appreciated.

Matt

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”