decapsulated brine shrimp eggs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
corywink
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: corydoras!

decapsulated brine shrimp eggs

Post by corywink »

Anyone feed decapsulated brine shrimp eggs to their cory fry? Will 1 week old fry be able to eat these eggs? I have some 1 week old sterbai fry and I'm feeding microworms and powered flake, would like to add some baby brine shrimp but don't want to bother hatching them.
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs are great fry food. Sterbai fry are quite small though, but after a week or two of feeding on microworms they will be OK eating DBS-eggs.

I use them for my fry when they get big enough to eat them.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
corywink
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: corydoras!

Post by corywink »

Thanks, I'll pick some up
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Do you need to wash them off at all?
Amanda
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Amanda,
When my Corydoras sterbai began their fall spawning run I was caught without microworms and I tried decapsulated brine shrimp cysts and it was an abject failure. I lost over 500 fry. I finally got my microworms and now I have another 400 sterbai. I concur with the other posters in that once they are a few weeks on microworms they can and do accept the decysted eggs well. I even had trouble trying to get the newly hatched sterbai to take fresh frozen brineshrimp nauplii. At that stage I also use a lot of fresh rozen nauplii as they seem less prone to promoting the almost inevitable hydra bloom that comes with heavy use of live brineshrimp. What I usually do is kill the live bbs prior to feeding them to the Corys so they drop right to the bottom and get promptly eaten, again to help minimize hydra problems. Sterbai are a delicate Cory in their larval stage, IME. They contract bacterial diseases very easily during the larval stage if water conditions are not kept pristine.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Amanda,
I couldn't edit for some reason but I wanted to add that you should rinse both decap bse and live brine nauplii thoroughly prior to using them. I was not clear whether you also are asking about rinsing microworms but they are fine used directly after scraping them off the sides of their culture container. They may even transfer eatable micro-organisms in the process that the larval cats can eat but that is only conjecture.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Larry,
I had troubles with live baby brine shrimp and the decaps in the past. I lost a batch of C.paleatus juveniles. They ate well, but suddenly died. I did the daily water changes, etc. The only thing I did differently was the food. I changed back to the frozen baby brine shrimp and crushed flake food. I've had (4) batches of fry(aeneus and paleatus) since then without incident.
Amanda
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Amanda,
I always did alright with bbs with albino and regular aeneus or paleatus. Only when I began raising Cory sterbai did I run into my troubles.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”