10 Gallon Question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
TroutAngler86
Location 1: Michigan

10 Gallon Question

Post by TroutAngler86 »

I would like to know if I could keep 3 albino(bronze) Cory Cats and 3 Peppered Cory Cats in a 10 gallon or if that's to many Cory Cats? The water tests fine and what I have in there now is

6 GloFish
3 Albino Cory Cats
Albino Dwarf Frog(Going to be moved soon)
natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by natefrog »

I would stick with what you already have in there.
TroutAngler86

Post by TroutAngler86 »

Okay, if I didn't have the GloFish though could I do it?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I breed many species of Corydoras cats. I keep a group of 6 to 8 breeders in a ten gallon tank. All these tanks have a juvenile Bushynose and 6 tetras or pencil fish with them and a couple of potted plants. Each tank has a small hydrosponge filter. I change 50% of their water each week.This is how I store and maintain my breeders. They are fed a balanced diet of pellets, frozen bloodworms and live blackworms. Usually these have been segregated by sex. I increase the water changes to 3 times a week and feed almost nothing but blackworms just prior to a planned spawning but that is not how they are just "stored".
I have over 1000 Corydoras on hand at various stages of growth. I have for instance 150 5/8 inch Corydoras sterbai in one 20 Long with a large hydrosponge driven by a MaxJet 600 powerhead. I change 75% of the water in this crowded tank every other day. It is now time when I divide the group in half and put 75 in each 20Long with the same filter system and water change schedule. They will be sold at 1 inch size about a month later.
So if you are willing to change half your water each week, which is always a good idea, you will be able to keep 6 Corydoras and your other fish in your ten gallon tank indefinitely. I would suggest that you get 3 more albino aeneus instead of 3 C. plaeatus for the simple reason that Corydoras are very social and the more of their own kind the merrier. If you do this and make those 50% water changes each week one morning you will wake up to see that your Corydoras are spawning but that is another subject. Enjoy your Corys.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
TroutAngler86

Post by TroutAngler86 »

It's my understanding that the most cory cats school together. SO you can mix different kinds. I moved the GloFish BTW
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Corys like Corys Troutangler. Don't disagree with you. I think as a fish breeder more than as a collector. I collect breeding colonies. That is why I don't keep a few of this and a few of that. This true of all the species I breed whether it's discus, Corydoras or Plecos.
BTW, When not breeding fish my alter ego and occupation is as professional trout flyfishing bum. That's why I live where I do.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
TroutAngler86

Post by TroutAngler86 »

Okay then, yeah with this tank I just wanted all cory cats but a few different kinds. I thought it best I kept at least 3 of each though
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

Troutangler,

There are so many different cories out there...I know what you are doing, because I did it too. We had 7 different kinds of cories in our tank. The problem was that they were not "similar" enough to shoal together.

My reccomendation (and that's all it is...it's your Fishroom!) is that you obtain 6 of one species of cory and watch their reactions. They usually shoal in this number. I've seen one or two be "antisocial."

Hope this helps!

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”