epsom salt

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
corywink
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: corydoras!

epsom salt

Post by corywink »

Is epsom salt(magnesium sulfate) safe to use on corydoras? I need the magnesium to fertilize my plants. I know it's not safe to use salt on corys but not sure if this applies to epsom salt.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: epsom salt

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Epsom is not salt like you use for sw tanks or to medicate in fw or to season food. However, it will raise the TDS of the water. Low level dosing being taken up by plants should not be a problem.

But, if you are dosing Flourish or Tropica Plant Nutrition or a similar micro-nutrient product for plants, they contain magnesium.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

If you look at products such as Seachem Equilibrium, it's ingredients list magnesium as one of it's components, and then "Derived from: potassium sulfate, calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, ferric sulfate, manganese sulfate."

--
Mats
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Note that plants use these minerals in "trace" amounts, not ever would you need to supply Epsom Salt(magnesium sulfate) or other minerals in high enough doses to affect Corydoras or other fish.
That Corydoras are particularly sensitive to common rock salt, Sodium chloride, is an old fish wives tale. They tolerate it as well as any other common SA aquarium fish. There is no reason to add salt unless it is for a particular effect and adjunct to the treatment of some injuries or diseases. It is very rarely essential, even then.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
corywink
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: corydoras!

Post by corywink »

yeah I was just going to use a small amount, so I guess it's safe. Thanks

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”