How do I breed C. Metae???

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Psuedofire
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Minnesota-Land of the cold air

How do I breed C. Metae???

Post by Psuedofire »

What would be the right way to breed C. Metae? Right now I have a group of 6 adults set up in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter, sand substrate, and some java moss. Does anyone know any triggers for these guys? My temp is at 72F and ph is around 8 Any help would be great! thanks!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: How do I breed C. Metae???

Post by MatsP »

Mine have bred at about 77-80'F after a big water change with soft water - I wouldn't say they breed regularly, but I've had two spawns (or perhaps three, as I have some fry in the main tank that seem older than they should be from the "first" spawn I know about) in the last few weeks. It's been a very long time since the previous spawn - but I moved them around not so long ago to reduce stock in their previous tank - this may have had an effect.

When I took eggs out of the tank from the last couple of spawns, unfortunately none survived. But some eggs I couldn't find have hatched and a few fry are in the tank. I have collected and hatched eggs previously, but I think they may do a bit better if the water is very pure and perhaps a small amount of methylene blue or alder cones as a antifungal would be a good idea.

--
Mats
Psuedofire
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Minnesota-Land of the cold air

Post by Psuedofire »

Thanks! I may try melting some snow and doing a water change with it. PH may be my problem. where I am at the water is very alkaline!I may be able to buffer it with some natural precipitation.
cmstwc
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: San Francisco, USA

Post by cmstwc »

My bred in 55g display tank without purposely trigger them to spawn. I haven't notice them breed so frequent, but that could also means other corries ate the eggs before I found them.
Bwhiskered
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Burlington,Ontario,Canada
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Gardening

Post by Bwhiskered »

My C. metae are in a 15 gallon tank with S. barbatus It is a bare tank with a sponge filter. If they are in the mood a water change with my tap water is all it takes to get them to spawn. My tap water reads 175 TDS and the PH is 7.6. The C. metae spawn mainly on a floating mop that you use for spawning killifish. The S. barbatus spawn on the glass in a cluster. The tank is unheated at 68 to 72 dgrees F. The eggs are removed and hatched in a bowl with a drop of acriflavine and an air stone. The fry are easy to raise on micro worms and baby brine shrimp. Conditioning the adults with black worms sure helps trigger spawning.
Good fish are spawned and raised in Burlington.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”