Corydoras fowleri not eating dry foods

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
corywink
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: corydoras!

Corydoras fowleri not eating dry foods

Post by corywink »

I recently acquired 6 WC C. fowleri, they are big 3-4", probably adults. They dwarf my biggest adult sterbai. This might be the reason they are not eating the dry foods. I've tried NLS pellets and earth worm flakes, they show absolutely no interest. The only thing they've eaten are cherry shrimps and white worms.

Has anyone experience this before and any tips on weening them onto dry foods? :-\

Here are pics of one of these beauties (*)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: C. fowleri not eating dry foods

Post by MatsP »

I've read that long-nosed species are harder to feed with dried food than those with short/round snout. Can't really offer any advice on how to go about weening them, just thought you'd like to know that it's not an unusual problem.

--
Mats
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Post by RickE »

Have you tried things like frozen bloodworm?
Rick
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

I know this "problem" well...none of my saddlesnouts (C115, serratus, orcesi, vittatus) will touch dry food except for C. aurofrenatus "Bolivia".

I feed them mainly with whiteworm, live artemia and blackworm/tubifex. Live daphnia and bloodworm is also on the menu. I've tried som dryfood with high content of spirulina as well, but not much luck.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Hunger causes fish to eat in a less picky way. So if they are really hungry they may sample other less favoured items.

You could create your own pellets made with significant amounts of FD food - brine shrimp/bloodworms/gammarus add in maybe some crushed earthworm sticks etc. Blitz it all up, add a little water and then compress it into little tablets which are then dried. There is a possibility they may try these.

Or presoak some flake or pellets in some sort of preferred liquid - like the juice from defrosted bloodworm - maybe also worth a try.

In the end, it's just a case of trying a fair few times with as many options as you can find and if they absolutely won't go for any, then live or frozen foods it is.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: Corydoras fowleri not eating dry foods

Post by Marc van Arc »

Changed title of subject as I initialy expected . Until I saw the pix of course.
corywink

Post by corywink »

Thanks for the suggestions, problem is they didn't even take the frozen bloodworms that I gave them. Atleast with the frozen bloodworms they sucked it into their mouths but out they went through their gill plates @-) Guess I'll fatten them up with whiteworms/cherry shrimps then try the starving method. =P~

corywink

Post by corywink »

Couldn't get them to accept any dry food, so I decided to move them out of my 30gal mixed cory tank and into their own 20gal tank for easier feeding. After 3 weeks of feeding heavily on white worms, fbw and cherry shrimps, they decided to spawn :YMPARTY:
corybrummie2010
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Birmingham UK

Post by corybrummie2010 »

Congrats on the spawning and great vids mate :-BD
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

I can really empathesize with the feeding issues, in regard to my ~8cm SL Brochis multiradiatus, who do not touch dried food (Tetra Prima; JML catfish pellets; Hikari algae wafer; crushed Tetramin flakes etc.)... Yet they go positively bonkers for defrosted critters like bloodworm and shrimp!

I'm currently trying the technique of soaking bits of the dried food with the defrosted, in the hope I can gradually adjust their eating habits. However, the Brochis are deceptive, in as much they can sometimes look like they are eating dried food when in fact they are basically stirring it round with their barbels. Hopefully the new ~5cm SL Brochis splendens youngsters in with them, who eat like gannets, may convince the others to try more foodstuffs.

Good luck with the eggs! :-BD
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

There are very few fish, catfishes especially, that can not be weaned to prepared (dry) foods. I have collected and kept several east African killies that the "experts" swear need live foods. All of them have been adapted to dry foods, mainly flake, and have thrived on that diet. This is key to me, in a way it is not for most, as there are no live or frozen fish foods available in Uganda.
The main issue with regard to introducing dry foods is that hobbyists give in before the fish do. The most difficult killies took three weeks without food to decide Tetra flakes were in fact delicious. Just feed a little flake, and nothing else, once a week until you see they are eating it. Most fishes will take it after a week, the real hold outs two, and only really, really picky eaters will go three.
Before anyone thinks this sounds like tough love, I have left my fishroom (20 tanks) unattended (no feeding) for four weeks without a single lose on several occasions. In the dry season in South America, fish may go as long as two to three months with basically no food. Experiments with eels (Anguilla spp) have shown they can go without eating for a year!
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
corywink

Post by corywink »

A question for the cory experts, can someone tell me if these are fowleri/coriate or semiaquilus? My amateur eyes think they are not semiaquilus because they don't have as much black markings? These also came from a Peru exporter and were listed as Huanta.
corywink

Post by corywink »

Their first spawning resulted in all infertile eggs. Their second time, there were fertile eggs and they hatched a few days ago. For such big corys, their fry are similar in size to other multi egg layers (sterbai, bronze etc..) Here's a pic of a fry, the plant is a piece of taiwan moss.

and it's easy to sex mature specimens, the males have thickened pectoral fins

Male:

Female:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”