Setting up natural cory habitat tank from scratch -- advice?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
exasperatus2002
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:4)
Spotted: 13
Location 2: allentown PA

Re: Setting up natural cory habitat tank from scratch -- adv

Post by exasperatus2002 »

+1 for pool filter sand.
LughLamfada
Location 2: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Post by LughLamfada »

And what's the word on using grapewood as driftwood? I've seen and heard conflicting things about it. Is it safe to use in an aquarium or should I avoid it? I have a nice piece that approximates tree roots that I was going to boil for a few hours and soak for a week or two, but if it's not a good idea I'll just bring it back to the store. What do you all think?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Safe in the sense that it won't kill your fish. Not so great in the sense that it won't last long (and may go mouldy if you don't have something that "cleans" the wood - an Ancistrus or similar).

--
Mats
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

As Mats said, it will grow some nasty, thick slime fungus all over if there is not something in the tank to constantly graze on it. For a beautiful, natural look I think manzanita is about impossible to beat http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-driftwood.html

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
LughLamfada

Post by LughLamfada »

Would pitbull plecs fit the bill? As I live in Florida, I think I might go foraging for driftwood along the beach and the canals for some real stuff. I find driftwood to be rather overpriced, and I mean, what could possibly go wrong looking for it myself?

sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

if you pull your driftwood from water with traces of industrial waste in it, you'll find out pretty fast what can go wrong......

and ofcourse putting a baby gator in there will make things interesting, but only for a while
:D
Valar Morghulis
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Whilst Alex's concern about industrial (and agricultural) [toxic] waste is a valid one, I think a much bigger reason for most people not using wood that they find on the beach/local river is simply the lack of suitable places to collect it.

As long as the wood is well dried, collected from a place where the wood is clean (from a "waste" perspective), and it's nice and old (not "green").

--
Mats
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Just to add my 2 pence (Cents) worth.

I think the very first consideration is what species you intend keeping and plan the tank set up to suit.

The term 'Corys' may be a standard one but their natural habitat conditions are not.

Substrates may vary slightly, but for most there will be a fine sand underneath them, this may have a smattering of leaf litter, none at all, or a dense layer. I collected C. delfax in a tributary of the Rio Mammon in July 2011, where the leaf litter was 10" - 12"deep, under which was very fine white sand. the water parameters were, pH 4.8, TDS 8.3ppm, temperature 76ºF.

There are many members here that have collected corys from various locations and I am sure once you have decided on the species you want to keep, they will be more than willing to help with habitat information.

Ian
LughLamfada

Post by LughLamfada »

Thanks for the input, Ian. Most of my cats are peppered cories, so the tank will be primarily geared towards them. I think most will be relatively happy with a riverbank root-snag kind of environment with clear water, low flow, lots of tree roots, and some leaves scattered on a sand substrate. I just need to find some root-like driftwood.

And what are peoples' thoughts regarding adhering rocks and such to the back wall of the tank via silicone?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”