Eco-Complete substrate and cory catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
LughLamfada
Location 2: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Eco-Complete substrate and cory catfish

Post by LughLamfada »

Hi all--

I just set up an Amazon biotope tank and used the black Eco-Complete planted aquarium substrate with the intention of covering it with a layer of pool filter sand for the cories. I have been told by my LFS however that the sand on top of the Eco-Complete will hamper its ability to pull nutrients from the water column into the substrate.

I've done a few forum searches around the internet and many people swear their cory cats are ok in Eco-Complete, but I still worry that it might be a little too rough for them. What do you all think? Should I put a layer of sand over it, or will they be ok? Perhaps I could just create a sandy area for them?

This site and this forum are the resources I trust the most when it comes to my catfish, so your input is appreciated.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: Eco-Complete substrate and cory catfish

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I have been told by my LFS however that the sand on top of the Eco-Complete will hamper its ability to pull nutrients from the water column into the substrate.
Change your LFS.

The ability of any substrate to retain and exchange nutrients is defined by its cation and anion exchange capacities (CEC/AEC), the actual ions held and exchanged will depend upon both the lyotropic series and the concentration gradient between the ions on the exchange surface and the ions in the water.

The only way that the sand could stop nutrient exchange occurring in the substrate was if it formed a totally impermeable barrier between the water column and the Eco-complete. Pool filter sand definitely isn't impermeable to water (or it wouldn't work as pool filter sand), and will have a negligible effect on water movement

I think more of a problem will be that the Eco-complete will end up on top of the sand over time whatever you do, as the sand is both smaller grained and denser.
Perhaps I could just create a sandy area for them?
You certainly could, and this may be the best option, although I don't think the Cories will have a problem with the Eco-complete, as it is light in weight and they will still be able to work over it during their natural behaviour. I would always keep Cories over sand, but my understanding is that barbel erosion relates to water quality rather than substrate roughness.

cheers Darrel
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I find EcoComplete to be suitable for use with Corydoras although I prefer a thin layer of fine sand or thin layer of FloraBase by Coralife.
FloraBase is made up of rounded particles and is low in density so Corys may easily root through it without causing any abrasion injuries to their barbels. I recommend avoiding substrates with fractured faces with sharp edges. EcoComplete has rounded edge particles.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
LughLamfada
Location 2: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Post by LughLamfada »

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I siphoned up the Eco-Complete where I didn't intend to put plants, then put the tube into a bucket containing the pool sand and distilled water and just siphoned the sand onto the bottom. The result is Eco-Complete along the back and sides of the tank with sand in the middle. Looks great and the catfish are happily rooting around in it. :d
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Hi All,

Just bought a bag of this to try out as I am not getting on with sand in 1 aquarium. Bought 1 bag to try out the look in an 18" tank so am not expecting full experience of it. I want to use it on my 3ft eventually but due to cost of this want to make sure it is worth while. Sorry budget is feeling pinch after some problems trying to sort it all back out again.

It doesn't seem as small as I expected has it changed recently so it is not safe for corys? Or is it because it is light weight it is not a problem for them?

Was planning to use it with dwarf's and cherry shrimp but am a little worried by the note may rise PH mine is not low as it is.

Sorry to jump up an old thread but seemed a better alternative to starting a new one. Anyone still using the substrate ?
(Parts I really liked is no need to wash, I'm lazy and hate doing sand / gravel rinsing in buckets I always get shouted at for the mess, catfish safe?, good for plants)
Link below for version purchased
http://www.portonaquapet.co.uk/Eco_Comp ... ate-M12615
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

It's fine for Corydoras. The material is not sharp edged and is, as you noted, less dense than most aquarium substrate materials. If it has any effects on water chemistry I never noticed it nor did my fishes' breeding ever seem inhibited by it.
It is very expensive. It's worth it so don't mix in other substrates to try to stretch it: better to use it as potting material.
Both ways work but plant growth in EcoComplete was extraordinary for me.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Well moved my corys onto this about a month ago and they all seem happy. Do have one question how do you clean it as the gravel cleaner just sucks it all up.

Can still see the big old barbell's on my 2 old peppered cory's. Noted today they are 5 years old now such a shame I lost the male the new one has never been accepted by the females due to lacking size and refuses to grow. May try to get another big male to see if they are not too old to spawn. My bronze have settled on it well bar 1 but I think the ancistrus had a go at her for some reason. Keeping an eye if she needs help long term. Sorry for waking an old thread up.

Reason for plan change is real life got involved such a nasty habit it has ruining nice plans.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Kink your siphon hose to control the flow. There is always a sweet spot between the density of the material and the water where the substrate will fall back into place. Crimp off completely as needed.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”