Cross breeding cory panda and trilineatus?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
loisjong
Location 2: The Netherlands

Cross breeding cory panda and trilineatus?

Post by loisjong »

I have 3 male corydoras panda and bought 6 young trilineatus yesterday. A few hours after adding the new ones to the tank, the panda's started trying to spawn with the trilineatus. So I started wondering whether these two cross breed?

kindest regards,
Louise
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Re: Cross breeding cory panda and trilineatus?

Post by Taratron »

Short answer, it is possible.

Longer answer, possible and probable that the offspring you have, if any, will be hybrids. Hybrids are not something, and this is only my personal opinion, any reputable hobbyist or breeder should produce knowingly. If you have fry that survive, nice: but they should never leave your hands and never be used for breeding.

There is much destruction of native habitat, and even if cory pandas and trilins are currently not endangered, that could change at any time. It would be a sad world if the only captive common animals we had of limited species were hybrids.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Post by CoryfanAad »

Taratron wrote:Short answer, it is possible.

Longer answer, possible and probable that the offspring you have, if any, will be hybrids. Hybrids are not something, and this is only my personal opinion, any reputable hobbyist or breeder should produce knowingly. If you have fry that survive, nice: but they should never leave your hands and never be used for breeding.

There is much destruction of native habitat, and even if cory pandas and trilins are currently not endangered, that could change at any time. It would be a sad world if the only captive common animals we had of limited species were hybrids.
are you sure ??? Are those genetically not too different???
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

no, this is absolutely sure.
C. panda is a species that tends to interbreed more easily than others.
Cross breeding with C. trilineatus (among others) has definitely already happened.
And by the way, these two species are rather close relatives.

Some years back I had those species in the same 400l tank, both groups with ~10 specimen.
Quite frequently the large C. trilineatus females were chased by C. panda males.
Although no hybrids were produced I would recommend to keep C. panda always in a seperate tank.

If there are no panda females the risk is rather high.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Post by CoryfanAad »

Ok thanks !!!
Deb2703
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: South Australia

Post by Deb2703 »

I know this reply is somewhat out of date, but I thought I'd add my experience in case someone down the track is interested.
I had a male panda & female triline in a tank by themselves for a time. They were at it like rabbits and spawned constantly. The eggs appeared to be fertile as most didn't immediately turn white & it looked like there were embryos developing in some that I looked at with a magnifying glass but none ever hatched. These 2 have since been put in another tank with more of their kind and the panda has fathered fry with a panda girlfriend so maybe they are only genetically compatible to a point but not close enough to produce live young.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”