New to Corydoras

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Allie.89
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada

New to Corydoras

Post by Allie.89 »

Good Morning! I am new to this and I am wondering...is it okay or even possible to put Corydoras Habrosus ( Salt & Pepper Cory) in with a Betta and 3 Amano Shrimp. I am looking at getting another tank, at least 22 gallons. However, I want to keep my Betta and 3 Amano Shrimp in the 9 gallon. The dimensions of the tank are 16' x 13' x 13'. I also understand that I need a shoal, so if you can help steer me in the right direction...that would be great!!! Looking forward to hearing some answers :-BD
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: New to Corydoras

Post by Jools »

Yes, try min 4 better 6. You need to keep on top of water changes, in that small a tank but the bioload is not too heavy.

Jools
AnnieD
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Montreal

Post by AnnieD »

Just want to say that with bettas, you never know. I've some that were fairly laid back but had one so aggressive he wouldn't allow even a snail in his tank and harassed it so badly it couldn't feed and I had to remove it. Watch closely with the corys and be prepared to separate them from the betta if necessary.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Just an idea but how about a Dwarf Cory if concerned about bio load and number? My 3 betta's all ignored the Cory's. Preferred to sit up out the way. That said mixing fish sometimes depends on a fishes personality as some are so much more aggressive in nature than others. You do need to be closer to the tank to get best out of viewing dwarfs so may not be practical.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”