breeding conditions for Elegans Corys

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
dmcc445465
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Marion, Iowa
Location 2: USA
Interests: breeding fish, sport fishing, outdoors

breeding conditions for Elegans Corys

Post by dmcc445465 »

I have a small colony of 8 Elegans Corys. I've been trying to get them to breed for the past 3 months with no luck yet. They are in a 29 gallon planted. My current water parameters are clean but the water is soft with a ph of slightly below 8.2. I've been dropping in some Alder cones to lower the ph gradually. I'm running a Jehmco box filter and 2 large sponge filters. I do not have access to a R/O system so I have to make do with what I have. Their diet consists of blackworm flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and occasional regular flakes.
I have a colony of Green Aneus Corys in a similar setup in the same room and they have been breeding every couple of weeks for months now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, David
cichlidlife
Location 1: United States of America
Location 2: southeast

Re: breeding conditions for Elegans Corys

Post by cichlidlife »

You should take a look at the elegans corys and determine if they have two main different types of patterns on their bodies because females have black along the side of the body while males have a sort of speckled stripe down the back. Elegans are one of very few species of corys where males and females have different characteristics.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”