Corydoras sterbai; are lower temperatures okay?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Quokka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Ansan
Location 2: South Korea

Corydoras sterbai; are lower temperatures okay?

Post by Quokka »

Hello all,

I recently started fishkeeping again, and my plan is to focus on my favorite cory, sterbai.

Currently I have a group of 7 youngsters in a 15 gallon tank and I am planning on getting a few more. From my experience, they school way more than bronze corys do! So cute how they pile on top of each other! :)

However, I was wondering....sterbai are known to be able to tolerate high temperatures, even discus level temps. But on the other hand, can they do well at "typical" cory temperatures, like 22~26℃, too? I would like to keep a school of hastatus with them, but I think they probably prefer cooler temperatures?

Not just tolerate lower temperatures; I would like them to thrive. I want to provide the best for my little corys so any input is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Corydoras sterbai; are lower temperatures okay?

Post by Bas Pels »

Generally speaking, for most fishes the range of temperatures is given. 22- 26 C most often means "don't keep them outside ot het range". Optimum is the middle.

Most of the exceptions are subtropical fishes, with a range such as 8 -30 C. that is 8-12 in winter, in summer 20 up to 30 C and in spring and autumn gradually shifting, something in between. Still, there is an ptimum temperature for each time.

I thing you best have 2 tanks, 1 for sterbai and 1 for hastatus
cats have whiskers
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

Thanks Bas!

In that case it would be best to have separate tanks for the two species.

The CotM article here says their preferred temp range is 24~28 C.....Would it be good to aim for 25~26 C? I would like them to live as long as possible without shortening their lifespans due to high metabolism from heat! Somehow this idea that sterbai must have very high temps (28 C+) seems to have gotten stuck in my head!
CorySlo
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:18)
Location 1: Europe
Location 2: EU

Post by CorySlo »

Sterbai dont need 28°C+. I have my groups of C. sterbai usualy around 25-26°C. They are spawning, growing ... Because of some low room T i have one group of young C. sterbai even in tank at 22-24°C, but there i would say growth is slower, but also there is a lot more fish in a tank, so a lot more work for them to get as much food as they want/need.
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

Thanks! I will keep that in mind! Hopefully mine will be happy and spawn too! (They spawned a lot with their previous owner!) Maybe only some shrimp as tankmates will be okay at that lower temperature!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”