Feeding my tank with Corys

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Coreador
Location 1: California
Location 2: United States

Feeding my tank with Corys

Post by Coreador »

Hello Everyone! I’m new to this forum & just got my first tank, 20 gallon long, 5 weeks old. Actually, I’ve had the tank for 6 yrs but left it empty in the living room, because I never knew where to start.

Have a young man at our local pet store who is really into fishkeeping. He has 4 tanks in his bedroom alone & a dozen tanks total at home. So when he offered to help set mine up, I felt pretty good about this. And so far so good. He gave me 2 male guppies (he is really into guppies & breeding them) & I started w 3 danios, for 5 fish to start a fish-in cycle. I think I got BB from his aquarium too, as he gave me a bunch of live plants, and also gave me 5-6 rams horn snails.

I’ve been adding fish slowly and they are surviving mostly. (Lost 1 danio at week 3) wanted bottom feeder and got 2 cories (1 adolfoi, 1 jullii maybe false). Then learned more about cories and got them mates, so now up to 4 cories. If my tank can handle it, I’d like to get a total of 6 cories eventually. I realize now that 1 type of Cory would be better than 2 types. The 2 Julli’s are more active and out more. The 2 Adolfoi are shy and hide mostly, except when time to eat. Then they come out and have big appetites.

So to summarize, I have:
4 Corys
2 male guppies
2 danios
3 glofish danios

Ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrates 40

My LFS said to only feed the fish every other day the first 8 weeks, so that’s what we’ve been doing.

I’m here to see if my feeding plan for my tank makes sense & is ok? I want to make sure I am not overfeeding or underfeeding my tank. My fishkeeping buddy is not as familiar with keeping danios.

So I am feeding only every other day:
—7 flakes (differing sizes, some small & some large, I figure it evens out). The danios & guppies go for this right away.
—2-3 sinking wafers for the corys. These are pretty tiny.
—1 algae wafer. This doesn’t look that big but expands to become quite large.

Does this seem like the right amount of food for my clan? My comments are that the danios & guppies also eat and pick at the wafers. The Corys come out of hiding and voraciously eat the wafers. The snails also come and descend on the wafers too. I’ve been letting the wafers sit overnight since Corys like to feed at night and in the dark. In the morning everything is gone. Btw everyone in the tank seems to get along well. I don’t see anyone nipping at anyone or anything. And with feeding, they all seem to share and eat together comfortably.

I’m also aware that Corys can overeat? So don’t want to be leaving the wafers out too long? But it does seem like all the food is being eaten & gone by the next day.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Coreador
Location 1: California
Location 2: United States

Re: Feeding my tank with Corys

Post by Coreador »

Here are two pictures of my tank, including a picture of the gigantic algae wafer that everyone is picking at.
25DEE079-FBAB-4419-806C-E0DC441B0850.jpeg
B7BF02D3-3023-4964-BAFB-0F429A975959.jpeg
Reindas
I've donated: $150.00!
My cats species list: 8 (i:8, k:2)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
My BLogs: 1 (i:5, p:52)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Bayamón
Location 2: Puerto Rico
Interests: Catfish , Photography, Computers, Star Trek.

Re: Feeding my tank with Corys

Post by Reindas »

Nice corys!

1. What is the temperature of tank you keep them.
2. For corys sand is the best. I see you have gravel and this may damage their barbels so is not good for them.
3. Try to keep the nitrates 20, lower would be much better. But no matter what you do, you will always have some nitrates.

The companions are good, but I wouldn't add any more the tank you might exceed it's capacity.
Regards.

I love my Corys! (*)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”