Corydoras paleatus with extra long fins? Is that normal?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Barrycal
Location 1: United Kingdom
Location 2: United Kingdom
Interests: Auto racing, motorcross

Corydoras paleatus with extra long fins? Is that normal?

Post by Barrycal »

HI,
I have 5 Corydoras paleatus adults, already breeding but my question is: one of them has extra long fins, reaching the tail. is this normal for an adult cory?
Thanks,
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Corydoras paleatus with extra long fins? Is that normal?

Post by bekateen »

Barrycal wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 22:48I have 5 Corydoras paleatus adults, already breeding but my question is: one of them has extra long fins, reaching the tail. is this normal for an adult cory?
Hi Barrycal,

Assuming you have , the answer is no but it's not uncommon. Wild-caught C. paleatus have "normal" length fins for the species. However, some people have developed "long-fin" genetic mutants of C. paleatus, which as you can expect, have long flowing fins, which can reach back to the tail.

Here is a C. paleatus with normal fins:

Here is a C. paleatus with the long fin mutation, showing deformed extensions of the dorsal, pectoral, and tail fins:

That said, there is another cory species, , which is related to C. paleatus. C. longipinnis naturally has a tall dorsal fin. Its other fins aren't so extended, so this fish can easily be distinguished from the mutant long-finned C. paleatus.

Here is C. longipinnis. Only the male C. longipinnis develops the extended dorsal fin:

Photos of your cory with long fins would be helpful, to ensure that we aren't confusing two different species. That said, C. longipinnis is an uncommon import, so you probably have captive-bred long-fin mutant C. paleatus.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

There are a ton of man made fish in the hobby. Angels, discus, bettas, long fin plecos, color morphs, the list is really long. Over the years I have kept and do keep my share of such fish along with my many "natural" fish.

I could not resist and came home from the NEC with 10 of the long/high fin paleateus. They do look really neat, but I also know exactly what they are. I also kept lf ancistrus years back and liked them as well. I do draw the line at glowfish or tattooed fish.

How many folks on this site would love to have some of the super white L236? :d
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”