Corydoras for High PH

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Sorg67
Location 1: Maitland
Location 2: FL

Corydoras for High PH

Post by Sorg67 »

I bought 8 Panda Corydoras and 6 have died. I think there were a lot of factors that contributed their demise. Weak to begin with, poor feeding, wrong substrate, imperfect acclimation among others.

I want to get more Corydoras, but not until I have a better understanding of their care.

Water parameters:

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate usually less than 10 ppm
GH 5 dGH
KH 7 dKH
PH 8.2
Temp 78 deg
Water change 25% to 50% per week
Substrate ECO Complete
Tank size 40 gallon

The parameters shown are for the tank the Pandas were introduced to. The two survivors are now in a 10 gallon tank with a sand substrate. Other parameters similar. Water temp 76. That is about as low as it will go here in Central Florida.

I have a total of six tanks and would like to keep schools of Corydoras in at least on, maybe more.

Based on my reading, my water hardness seems okay, but PH high. I have read that hardness is more important that PH and most fish will adjust to PH. But I have also read that Corydoras prefer lower PH. So my first question is whether Corydoras are suitable for my water. I do not wish to mess with PH and hardness. I want to keep fish suitable for my water.

I have also read conflicting opinions about whether sand is necessary. Some say mandatory, some say preferred, some say it does not matter, some say anything smooth. The local fish store I bought my Pandas from also sold me my ECO complete substrate. They said my substrate would be fine and my PH would be fine. I am not sure that was good advice.

ECO Complete is a rough jagged substrate that is supposed to be good for plants. Not sure it is as good for plants either.

So I am leaning toward converting my tanks to a sand substrate.

I have also read that Panda Corydoras are weaker than other Corydoras so I am looking for a hardier variety.

And I have read that Julii Corydoras like higher PH than other Corydoras.

But I have also seen conflicting information on this subject.

So I am looking for more opinions on these subjects.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”