Water for C. trilineatus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Hello Olga,

Since no one else has replied to your post as yet, let me give it a try. I have not kept C. julii in pH 8.5 water, so I can't speak from direct experience. As you know, higher pH causes ammonium to convert to ammonia, which is toxic to fish. However, my guess is that as long as the tank is mature and the water clean, the C. julii should be OK. They may not readily breed in this water, but survivial should not be a problem.

You could also try adding some peat to your filter, as this will soften the water somewhat.

Finally, you may wish to look at: http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/2001-04.htm.

Dinyar
Dinyar
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Olga,

Please don't say you're sorry, because if you do, I'll have to feel embarassed for making you feel that way. :oops:

I don't know of a simple formula for calibrating the amount of peat to add. I think it will come down to trial and error. Add a fistful. Change the peat after a month or two, and see how much your pH declines. If not by enough, add some more, a little more each time. A target pH of 7.4-7.6 should be fine, I'd think.

Your tetras and gouramis should also appreciate the softer water.

The peat may make your water turn yellow or even brown, like weak tea. Some people like this effect, some don't, but be prepared. Too brown and it will start to affect how much light your plants receive. On the other hand, the peat may slightly raise the CO2 level in your tank water, which could benefit your plants a little.

Good luck,
Dinyar
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Olga.

When I first started breeding Cory's I lived in an area where the mains water had readings of between 7.8 and 8.0 pH, the hardness also varied between 15 and 18 GH. I used to store water in a 45 gallon drum and in it I put a pillow case half full of peat moss, this over a week would bring the pH down to around 7.4. and as Dinyar said it would turm the water a golden brown colour, which I thought was great.

The C. trilineatus /C. julii confusion has been brought on by the trade, or more precisly the exporting side of the trade. C. julii usually comand a higher price.

Ian
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

There is a very positive side to having harder water.. it is easy to manipulate. Bogota tap water is pH 6.8, 3 dGH, and 1kh which is pretty close to rainwater. My problem is that large water changes do not seem to affect the fish at all where as if I had harder, more alkaline water I could set the fish off to spawning by doing a quick water change with rain water or distilled water.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Dinyar

Post by Dinyar »

Yes, your summary is more or less right, Olga. Your Corys would be happier if you used some peat to lower the pH even if you don't plan on breeding them, but you could probably get away with not using peat and just keeping the water clean.

Dinyar
Marshel
Location 1: Guangzhou, P.R.China
Interests: Corydoras and other catfishes

Post by Marshel »

I am keeping Three Line Cory. In my mind, this species is very easy to keep in various enviroment. But from my experience pH 6-8 is O.K. But if the pH is higher than 8, it will cause them not so comfortable.

By the way, you have not mentioned the temperature. I think there is some correlation between the temperature and pH if you have many plants.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”