Cory's and Ich

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Katt
Location 1: BC, Canada

Cory's and Ich

Post by Katt »

I have a planted tank with cories and two angelfish. The poor cories have Ich. I have added a bit of salt and thought about raising the temps. I also added a bit of garlic (this seems to be in the in thing with fish medication.) What can I do? No methyl blue, no malachite green. What are my options? Would Aquarisol work? Thanks!
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Depending on which type of cories you have...id raise the temp to 30-32°C and add a teaspoon of iodinefree-salt per 10 litres water. Id go get some malachite green as a second option if the temp/salt doesnt work. Switch off all the lights as the parasites need it.
cheers
Christian
Katt

Malchite green

Post by Katt »

We've read that this is lethal to cories. We don't want to kill them! Are there any other options?
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

What is lethal to corys? Salt - Temp - MG - lights out?

Which species of corys is it anyway? :?:
cheers
Christian
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Katt

Firstly where are you located, Ilike to know where the people I am talking to are.

What species of Cory are we dealing with? There are some that will not tolerate high temperatures and some that will love them.

Ian
Katt

Types

Post by Katt »

Well, there's a few different cories in there. Let's see, pandas, metae, aneus, swartzi, pygmeus, and pepper cories.
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Katt what have you done to these cats to get ich in the first place? There body armour usually prevents the parasites boring in. Do you do any maintanance on your tank ie substrate cleaning,water changes etc? Are they kept with a sand substrate?
Katt

Done anything?

Post by Katt »

That's an odd question. Do you suppose I took the cories out of their tank and spanked them for bad behaviour and then they got Ich? :lol:

It's not my tank, I am posting for my boyfriend, but as far as I know he does his tank maintence, I test his water weekly and he changes it weekly.

As for Ich, I talked to him and asked him if he's seen anything, no he doesn't see any spots on their body and no spots on their barbels. He says, that I must have imagined seeing little spots on their barbels, (I never saw any on the body) which I'm sure I saw something on their whiskers, but perhaps I'm not one to say anything. I keep loaches, eels and plecos, so perhaps it was just paranoia that made me say Ich.

Anyways, I'm glad it's not Ich, but still, I haven't gotten any info on what to do if cories do get Ich. Do they in any case? As far as loaches go I know clown loaches are notorious for Ich.

Thanks Cao_ila for suggesting a course of action in any case!

:D
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

One of the major causes of an Ich infection is sudden temperature change, usually cooler. Cory's do not or very rarely get infected with Ich, normally only the fins that get infected. Other than their armour plating, one of the reasons Cory's are so resistant to Ich is that they are acustomed to sudden temperature drops, in fact it is a major factor in triggering spawning activity.

Ian
Marshel
Location 1: Guangzhou, P.R.China
Interests: Corydoras and other catfishes

Post by Marshel »

I don't think it is good to raise the temperature. Just use the medicine with the brand "Sera" and "Tetra" is O.K.

Cory_man's reply is excellent. Many corys cannot tolerate the high temperature.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”