Gravid C. undulatus but no eggs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jon b
Location 1: Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE UK
Location 2: UK

Gravid C. undulatus but no eggs

Post by jon b »

Can anyone help with my C. undulatus. The females all appear to be swollen with eggs and have been so for four-five months. I have tried big serial water changes and dropping the water temp and while this does get the males excited there is still no spawning activity. The tank also contains C. duplicarous and these have spawned in this time (at least three times). Is there anything else I can try and will being egg bound have any adverse effect on the undulatus.
Tank details pH 7.0, GH approx 7, temp 25C (falls to 15-17C on big water change when I use a watering can to simulate rain). Lots of plants + wood for spawning sites.
Contains 7 C.undulatus (3m 4f) 3 C.duplicarous (2m, 1f), 4 C. robinae, 2 Acanthodoras, 1 L2?, 1 unknown pleco, 2 Abramites headstanders (recent additions).
Feeding very varied tablets, flake, frozen (especially bloodworm and tubifex), veggies and occasional live whiteworm.
Thanks
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I think the main problem could be the basic temperature keeping them at, they are a species coming from Southern Brazil/Argentina and are cool water corys, the top temperature for them should be 22ºC preferably a little lower. The C. duplicareus on the other hand like the temperature on the warmer side 26º C or more.

If you have the tank space I would be inclined to move the C. undulatus to cooler surroundings.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”