need clarification of max p. raninus length and other advice

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Alemchelth
Location 2: Texas, USA

Post by Alemchelth »

So 2 days ago I picked up 2 p. Raninus at petsmart. They swore up and down that they are m. Ingheri. At least everybody but the manager of the fish. She usually asks me if she doesn't know. Anyways, I've been looking for these raninus for about 3 years now. Had read that they max out between 5.5-7 inches now I'm reading 9-10 inches. Which is it? I'm running a 75 gallon and only have 2. I've also got 11 m. Ingheri in there. Except that about 4 of the Ingheri are pushing 3 inches and growing. Wondering if I picked up some giant bumblebees (can't remember the Latin name off the top of my head). I'm building an amazon angelfish tank. Have 2 jewels in it also. Will the Ingheri be safe with the raninus or do i need to set up another tank for them? These is my first post and I know a lot more about catching cooking and eating catfish than I do about keeping catfish. I also have 2 false cuckoos in there. Wonder if I should move them to my 30 gallon or will they be safe in the 75 gallon with the raninus? Any and all positive advice and criticism appreciated.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Re: need clarification of max p. raninus length and other ad

Post by Martin S »

According the the cat-slog reach 7.9" SL, whereas up to 2.8" SL, so yours could be full grown specimens, or something else. It would make sense for you to try and get a photo or two and ask for a confirmed ID on here - that way you won't end up starting to lose fish when what you thought was turns out to be something like !
Both B.raninus and P.bufonius have always been favourites of mine, but due to their deceptively large mouthes and urge to eat anything that comes too close (especially with the latter), I have always resisted. I'd suggest you keep them in a separate tank, and if you decide to add tank mates, make sure they are at least 1/2 the size bigger again than you think the fish can fit in it's mouth!
HTH
Martin
Alemchelth

Post by Alemchelth »

Thanks for responding. Was beginning to give up. I've been trying to get pics of the supposed m. Ingheri for months. It's a booger. I'm doing some major changes in my tank over the next few days and will be trying to get some good pics. Some of the m. I. Are really dark on the light patches. Since there are so many sub species in the s. a. Bumblebee family and that all live in the same habits, I'm wondering if I've got a few that are lesser known or even unknown. Who knows. Like I said I'll be trying to get some good pics or maybe a vid. I don't know if I can post a vid on here or not. I will post it on youtube if I can get it to upload. I had to get those p. raninus though. Somebody who didn't know what they where buying would have ended up with them since they where being sold as m. Ingheri at petsmart. And they had already killed 1 of them or I would have had 3. I swear they have no clue how to a climate fish to their tanks. I've never lost a fish that way. I've had them jump the filter, and I've had to deal with the assassins aka African cichlids. Those fish are ruthless.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

You can post youtube videos using the youtube tags, so for example, if this was your video url

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JqeMYy-e64
, then you would simply take the text after 'v=' i.e. '7JqeMYy-e64' and put the youtube tags around it to look like this:

[ youtube ]7JqeMYy-e64[ /youtube ]
which would then show like this:

(Spaces added to example to allow it to show as text)
HTH
Martin
Last edited by Martin S on 24 Apr 2014, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~<"))))<~~~~
Alemchelth

Post by Alemchelth »

I'll have to try that with the YouTube links. It probably won't work for me since I lean a lot more in the direction of caveman than I do towards spaceman. Technology all but escapes me. If all goes well, I hope to be posting pics and/or vids here in a few hours. Just have to try to get a few hours sleep now that the house is empty.
Alemchelth

Post by Alemchelth »

Cannay get to upload the blessed pics. Now I have to wait on the water to clarify before I can take any vids and just hope I can get some good, clear footage.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Looks like you are in good hands with Martin.

I once bought a couple of Cephalosilurus, either apurensis or nigricaudus, thinking they were possibly raninus. They were ~8" TL. And then they grew: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... s&start=80
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Alemchelth

Post by Alemchelth »

Viktor, those are some nice looking cats. I really like the look of j-lo. Looks quite a bit like one of the color phases of the north American flathead catfish, which I love. The flathead is a cat I'd love to keep but have no way of keeping a cat that can reach upwards of 4 ft and closing in on 200 lbs. I love any cat that has that look but stays at a much more manageable size. It's all about the fish. My 2 have the color banding of the raninus, so if they aren't raninus, they would have to be a very closely related cousin. I can't figure out how to get pics to post. I've got just a couple of pics but they are very blurry. I think they are clear enough to have a good shot at identifying. Now if only I can pull myself far enough into this century so as to figure out how to post those pics. Trying to do all of this from a galaxy s4.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

When you hit reply, below the reply window there are two tabs: "Options" and "Upload attachment". Choose the latter and it should be self-explanatory from there. Can post up to three attachments this way. Then hit "Submit (reply)".
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Alemchelth

Post by Alemchelth »

This should be the better pic of the raninus. Let's hope so. I also have no idea how I managed this. If I managed it. Oh well, here goes nothing. Hey! It worked. Also with albino bristlenose and probable m. Ingheri. It's hard to take a pic when the fish are booking it.
This should be the better pic of the raninus. Let's hope so. I also have no idea how I managed this. If I managed it. Oh well, here goes nothing. Hey! It worked. Also with albino bristlenose and probable m. Ingheri. It's hard to take a pic when the fish are booking it.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

It's really hard, if not impossible, from that photo I'm afraid to give a definitive ID. Whilst I agree the colouration doesn't look right at all for a M. iheringi, not sure I can say much else!
Alemchelth

Post by Alemchelth »

I've been spelling iheringi wrong. Hey, I'm a redneck. The larger of the p. Raninus and 1 that I'm pretty sure is an m. Iheringi
I've been spelling iheringi wrong. Hey, I'm a redneck. The larger of the p. Raninus and 1 that I'm pretty sure is an m. Iheringi
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

I'd agree with both IDs.
~~~~<"))))<~~~~
Alemchelth

Post by Alemchelth »

Soooo, all the sudden I can no longer even get to the planet catfish website online. I'm having to do this tapatalk thing. Can anybody clarify what's happening? I can't figure out how to do this YouTube link. If u look up alemchelth on there u can see all 3 vids I've ever posted. The one titled aquarium evolution is the one I just did a couple of days ago. I apologize that I'm unable to get good footage of the cats. But the way they hide and you just get glimpses is one of the more alluring things about keeping cats. I'm still changing things. Angels going in soon, and African cichlids going into my 30 gallon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Mol_PMB wrote:The website appears to have been down for at least 12 hours.
It's up now. Oddly a recent update to the tapatalk plugin broke the main site.

Jools
Alemchelth

Post by Alemchelth »

See. I knew I didn't like tapatalk.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Your video titled 'Aquarium Evolution':

All I did was enter (without the spaces):

[ youtube ]yvigkAGCvwg[ /youtube ]
HTH
Martin
Alemchelth

Post by Alemchelth »

Cool. I'll try sometime later today or maybe tomorrow to post a video I just took of my daughter's 30 gallon that I just did. Still got a lot of things happening in my life right now. I'm originally from Jacksonville, Ar and I have a lot of friends and family in the Vilonia/Mayflower area. I've done a lot of checking to make sure they are all okay.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”