Entomocorus gameroi - Penguin Woodcatfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
dpm1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:129)
Location 1: Devon
Location 2: UK

Entomocorus gameroi - Penguin Woodcatfish

Post by dpm1 »

I usually love elsewhere on the widewebsphere but as I seem to keep, or have kept, a few catfish of varying rarity I thought I would start with a real unusual type...

Entomocorus gameroi - Penguin Woodcat

I have just acquired 4 of these at ~1" in length. Differences point to 1m+3f but only time will tell. They do have rather odd resting habits - anywhere at any angle - which has given me minor heart attacks of the 'omg my new fish have died!' type, only to check back half hour later to find they have moved!
Information is rather scarce to say the least, and just 5 other keepers registered so not what I would call a common or popular type.
Many thanks in advance to those who reply.
No longer active.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Entomocorus gameroi - Penguin Woodcatfish

Post by Richard B »

These are certainly not a frequent import in my experience.

I saw them at GLEE (trade show) a few years ago imported by Neil Hardy Aquaria. I think after posting about them at the time afew people got hold of them & initially reported they did not present any husbandry problems (as long as they're kept with non-aggressive tank mates. A super little fish & i look forward to hearing progress reports
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

Sounds similar to my experience keeping . I do wish these guys came in a little more, it'd be interesting to experience breeding them. Unfortunately they're short-lived, with scientific literature suggesting they are annuals.

I should also point out that woodcats are from South America, not Asia, so this appears to be in the wrong section...
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
dpm1

Post by dpm1 »

How did I get them in Asia? I already knew they are a Venezuelan species...D'oh!

Confusion abounds regarding the life span with only the original report offering any info on the issue
http://cires.colorado.edu/limnology/pub ... Pub101.pdf*
It does say they appear annual based on the lack of adults following the breeding season, however there is also a question mark over this as it was a restricted catch area.

*thanks to bekateen. Don't know where the smiley came from as it was cut&paste
Last edited by dpm1 on 13 Dec 2014, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
No longer active.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

There is something wrong with your link, either because it's missing the "http" or because there is a smiley face in front of it. The working link is http://cires.colorado.edu/limnology/pub ... Pub101.pdf.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

dpm1 wrote:How did I get them in Asia? I already knew they are a Venezuelan species...D'oh!
In that case you should have posted your thread in the South-American (Everything else) forum instead of the Asian forum. That is what Suckermouth means and he puts it very politely - unlike yourself....

Could one of the mods pls move this to S-AM everything else?
dpm1

Post by dpm1 »

Marc van Arc wrote:
dpm1 wrote:How did I get them in Asia? I already knew they are a Venezuelan species...D'oh!
In that case you should have posted your thread in the South-American (Everything else) forum instead of the Asian forum. That is what Suckermouth means and he puts it very politely - unlike yourself....
I fail to see how my post was 'very impolite' as it was clearly a self-deprecating comment regarding an avoidable error, and agreeing with Suckermouth as it clearly stated I already knew they were a Venezuelan species.
In case theres any confusion
Wikipedia:
"D'oh!"...is a catchphrase used by the fictional character Homer Simpson...It is typically used when Homer injures himself, realizes that he has done something stupid, or when something bad has happened or is about to happen to him.
No longer active.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Ha, that's were things went wrong! Over here the youth used it (luckily it is hardly ever used by now) to blame other people for doing silly or stupid things, which caused me to misinterpret your reply. Sorry for that!

On topic: Entomocorus is certainly no species that gets very old, yet I've kept several specimens well over 3 years. Besides, their deaths were my fault, not theirs. I guess that their life span would equal same sized Auchenipteridae, like smaller Tatia and Centromochlus. Ime that would be around 5 to 6 years.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Just by chance.. my brother was kind enough to take all my old camcorder tapes of collecting in Venezuela and have them transferred to DVD. Some very good footage of us collecting this fish in the llanos. Now I just need to figure out how to break the DVDs into video clips I can post.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”