South American Catfishes for a 20 long.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
icthyophobic
Location 1: Finger Lakes
Location 2: NY

South American Catfishes for a 20 long.

Post by icthyophobic »

Hey Folks, just received a free 20 long from a friend and am looking to set it up as a South American River Biotope with a focus on catfishes. I am planning on using a sand substrate with river stones from a local trout stream and local driftwood, probably a few low light plants as well. I would like to be well oxygenated simulating a stream or river, I will achieve this by using an Aquaclear 50 and I will also be buying a powerhead (need to do more research on this).

As for stocking this tank, I am looking to fill it with catfish which would take a liking to this habitat. I know I would like some plecos, possibly with the intent of breeding. Perhaps a pair of Clown Plecos, or another pair of small ancistrus or hypancistrus species. I also would like a small shoal of cories, I am undecided on species but would prefer something other than pgymy cories, but that would stay small enough to have 4-6 of them in this 20 long. Other fish I have considered and see at my lfs store are ottos, oil catfish, and south american bumblebee catfish, would these work out well? I am considering any other cool cats that would work for my biotope. I like odd shaped or colored cats that are not typical, but not insanely rare either. Oh I also plan on having a small school of some tetras for top level action.

Thanks for the help Catfish folks!
jeremybasch
My images: 14
Spotted: 5
Location 1: http://amazontropics.com
Location 2: Columbus OH USA
Interests: All catfish

Re: South American Catfishes for a 20 long.

Post by jeremybasch »

A 20 gallon tank is not a huge aquarium but you can still keep a lot of catfish despite the size. I would recommend keeping it simple and select a Corydoras species or related. Be sure to buy at least 6 of whichever species you select. From there, a Otocinclus spp., a Peckoltia spp. or an Ancistrus spp. would work best out of the Loricariids.

All the best!

Jeremy
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

5-6 Otocinclus, 5-6 dwarf Corydoras, and a school of 5-6 small tetras.
A mix of Otocinclus, Corydoras habrosus, and silver hatchets would make a nice biotope. Decorate with driftwood and oak leaves over sand.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

i like Shane's suggestion. I would aim for 6 oto, 6 corydoras and 12 neon tetras (of a species: black, green, regular neon, etc.)
What's your favorite Dressing~~
joclru
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Ohio
Location 2: USA

Post by joclru »

I like Corydoras habrosus for that tank as well, 6-10 of them. As others have said, otos don't take up too much space or bioload.

Oil cats would do fine in there as well, though I think Corys + otos + oil cats + ancistrus + tetras would really be pushing it so you'll have to make some decisions on which fish attract you the most.
icthyophobic

Post by icthyophobic »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I am going to start this tank with 6 Corydoras habrosus, 2 Panaqolus maccus and 1 Centromochlus perugiae. I will let this run for a few months and if it seems like everything is running smoothly and things don't seem overstocked, I will considering adding 6 black neon tetras. My lfs has one Centromochlus perugiae and I am really attached, it seems like an amazing fish. Is it okay for it to be solitary and could anyone comment on its behavior and diet?
synolover
My cats species list: 23 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 4
Location 1: DC area, Virginia
Location 2: USA

Post by synolover »

The perugiae are really adorable fish! Like most woodcats, they're nocturnal and tend to hide a lot. I don't think they're very picky, people usually feed them frozen food like bloodworms. There's a good article on shane's world about them
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

Oilcats, from my experience, are social fish and like to be in groups. Can the one be fine alone for a bit, yes, but i would recommend adding others when available.

I wouldn't recommend clown plecos in that tank. Most woodeaters (panaque panaquolus) have a heavy bioload and the sawdust in teh tank might not be nice on the eyes.

IMO, you could make it a just Cat tank with corys, otos and oil cats. If you plant it, the otos will be in all levels of hte tank on the leaves.

just my $0.22
What's your favorite Dressing~~
icthyophobic

Post by icthyophobic »

I would not be opposed to the oil cats as a group, just have never seen one before at any local stores and it is $15 here. So it may be a bit before I could get a group, would 3 suffice?

As for the pleco, do you have a species that are not outrageously expensive that you would recommend? I would adjust the stocklist based off of a pleco as a centerpiece. I have seen some L270 for sale around, they stay small, any other ideas?
porinocoense
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:2)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 6
Location 1: USA
Location 2: connecticut
Interests: Catfish... That's why I'm here...

Post by porinocoense »

2-3 spotted pimelodella would also be a good choice. They are not too small, active, beautiful, and very cheap and common. Tthey can get about 4-5 inches and are great eaters.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”