oodinium on pimelodus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

oodinium on pimelodus

Post by kiwidu21 »

Hello my fishs, Pimelodus pictus is affected by oodinium, can a non-iodized salt treatment be effective ? My Corydoras paleatus and liosomadoras oncinus is non affected but black ghost tetra is affected. I put all the fish in quarantine ?
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: oodinium on pimelodus

Post by TwoTankAmin »

While salt and heat are a common treatment, I am not a huge fan of salt and fw fish. Also some fish will not do well with either. With oodinium it is common not to diagnose it until it is almost at its end stage. The fish usually die. So the issue is often one of preventing the spread rather than saving badly infected fish.

My best recollection is that Barbie (a mod here) suggests Proform C (which is sold as a pond medication) as one of the more effective treatments for this parasite. I do not know if this is available in France.

Have a read here, the meds they mention are not the ones I would choose, but then in the states we can find a wide assortment of treatments not available elsewhere. I would go with the Proform C if you can get it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... W025V_MaSQ

Good luck with treatment.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

Re: oodinium on pimelodus

Post by kiwidu21 »

I have just seen that a peckoltia is affected. Does this mean that all affected fish will die?
I began salt treatement with "instant ocean" by aquarium systems. I hope that it will be a success.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”