Vacation food for Bronchis Splendens?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sfishkeeper
Location 1: US
Location 2: US

Vacation food for Bronchis Splendens?

Post by sfishkeeper »

Hi everyone,

I have 3 Bronchi Splendens in my 65-gallon community tank and I will be on vacation for 2 weeks. I am planning to use an automatic fish feeder for the tank, but I fear the catfishes will not get enough to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking of trying the Tetra Gel Vacation food block or having another automatic feeder for their sinking wafers.

Thanks in advance!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Vacation food for Bronchis Splendens?

Post by bekateen »

What's your substrate, and how deep is it? And how many other fish (and what kind) are in the tank? If you have sand that's not too deep and if stocking is mostly upper water fish, myself, I'd just put a big wad (2-3 ounces) of live black worms in the tank and let them borrow into sand. Then add a slow release feeder. Between the two foods, the Brochis should be okay.

But to be fair, two weeks is a long time to go with no inspections or food. What if a pump stops?

Good luck, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Assuming the fish are healthy, and well fed, 2 weeks without food should be easily done.

We, warmblooded animals, use 90 % of what we eat to keep warm. Still, although we will not like it, we can go for 2 days without eating. Fishes generally can go for 3 weeks without eating.

Still, fishes from lakes, such as Lake Malawi, will have problems going without food for a few weeks, because these lakes are so stabile. Many fishes from rivers go for 2 months without eating, in the dry season. But many of them die, so I would not advise this. But a few weeks, for healthy, aldult riverine fish? No problem.

In many cases the well intending care taker overfeeds them, and feeding noting is much better than too much
cats have whiskers
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Agree 100%. The safest route for anything less than 3 weeks is to just leave the fish on their own. I have taken dozens of 2-3 week trips over the years with zero issues. Auto feeders, well intended babysitters, etc are all far riskier than just leaving the fish alone.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
sfishkeeper

Post by sfishkeeper »

bekateen wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 04:19 What's your substrate, and how deep is it? And how many other fish (and what kind) are in the tank? If you have sand that's not too deep and if stocking is mostly upper water fish, myself, I'd just put a big wad (2-3 ounces) of live black worms in the tank and let them borrow into sand. Then add a slow release feeder. Between the two foods, the Brochis should be okay.

But to be fair, two weeks is a long time to go with no inspections or food. What if a pump stops?

Good luck, Eric
My substrate is pool filter sand and I have about 2 inches of it in the tank. The community consists of 4 Giant Danio, an Angelfish, a Pearl Gourami, 6 Cherry Barbs, 4 Glofish Danios, and a Guppy. I'm not sure where I could find live black worms, but I can certainly find slow release gel food from Tetra. If anyone has any experience with that product, I would appreciate hearing about it. I have three filters on the tank, Penguin 350, Penguin 200, and a dual sponge filter. Hopefully, all three won't fail at the same time.
sfishkeeper

Post by sfishkeeper »

Bas Pels wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 10:55 Assuming the fish are healthy, and well fed, 2 weeks without food should be easily done.

We, warmblooded animals, use 90 % of what we eat to keep warm. Still, although we will not like it, we can go for 2 days without eating. Fishes generally can go for 3 weeks without eating.

Still, fishes from lakes, such as Lake Malawi, will have problems going without food for a few weeks, because these lakes are so stabile. Many fishes from rivers go for 2 months without eating, in the dry season. But many of them die, so I would not advise this. But a few weeks, for healthy, aldult riverine fish? No problem.

In many cases the well intending care taker overfeeds them, and feeding noting is much better than too much
The thought of leaving them unfed for 2 weeks is quite uncomfortable for me. I don't want to risk coming back to unhealthy fish. But I will take the advice from you all into consideration. Thank you!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

FYI, Shane and Bas Pels are two of the most knowledgeable people on here. I'd trust their judgement before I would trust mine.

... Don't know what that says about me, but assuming your fish are safe and well fed to start with and the tank is clean and well-operating when you leave, unfed fish should do okay.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

My experience is that a two vacation without feeding is fine. In fact, it may stimulate breeding when you return and restart feeding.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

I used to ask relatives to drop in and feed my fish daily while we were away for ~4 days and every time, perhaps by coincidence in some cases, I came back to dead and/or missing fish. For the last three years, I now give a generous last feed just before we leave for vacation and all fish have reported for duty upon our return.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”