Featherfin Catfish with Possible Heater Burn ??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
jasehel2015
Location 1: New South Wales
Location 2: Australia

Featherfin Catfish with Possible Heater Burn ??

Post by jasehel2015 »

Hi All,

We have recently (4 days ago) acquired a 6ft tank complete with a large oscar, 6 x cichilids (varying kinds), a couple of silver dollars and 2 x featherfin catfish. We were able to retain approximate 1/4 of the their original water.

The tank has a sump / biological filter with jap mat, bio balls and coral that in the cabinet underneath. The filter media was installed as is and wasn't washed so as to retain all the beneficial stuff in there.

One of the featherfins appears to have heater burn i think - see pic attached. He seemed fine and I did notice that sections of his skin appeared a little scaly but now they have turned white and are red around the edges. He was sitting on the bottom of the tank this morning but has since started to swim around a bit!!

All the other fish in the tank are fine.

We have relocated him to a smaller tank where he can be treated (containing 1/3 water from the 6ft tank and 2/3 new water (with stress coat)).

We have had aquariums on an off over the years and currently have two 4ft community tanks but this is our first tank with large fish so are a little lost.

Any help on how to treat him or what else we can do to help him would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Helene
Attachments
20150728_151117.jpg
20150727_211132.jpg
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Featherfin Catfish with Possible Heater Burn ??

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Pristine water and no stress may be enough for it to heal. It usually is. I'd keep an eye on it. If it gets progressively worse, perhaps medicating could be considered but for that at least a feasible tentative diagnosis would be required.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

to take Victors advice a bit farther keep a fungus med handy...

Make sure with this species you also have some vegetation in its diet..either spirulina flakes or fresh vegies to nibble on, they will appreciate it.(and save future trouble possibly)

Birger
Birger
jasehel2015
Location 1: New South Wales
Location 2: Australia

Post by jasehel2015 »

Just need some more guys he has now developed a white fuzzy fungus on the wound. We need some help in treatment - we have the following Melafix, Malachite Green and Triple Sulfa (Broad Spectrum) Medication. Can I use any of these and if so which one ? If not what is the best treatment for the fungus ?
TIA
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

A picture may help ensure this is fungus but if you are sure I'd use a dedicated anti-fungal medication. Melafix is for small cuts, wounds. Triple sulfa is a nice anti-bacterial. MG is known for anti-fungal activity. Read more here if you will - your 3 meds are described here too: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... ation.html
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “African Catfishes”