Catfish Logo Full
Catfish Logo Half
Catfish Logo Head
PlanetCatfish.com logo
Please visit Swiss Tropicals, proud sponsor of PlanetCatfish.com

Schilbe intermedius (grasscutter catfish)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
katschamne
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:58 am
Location 2: USA

Schilbe intermedius (grasscutter catfish)

Postby katschamne » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:54 am

How long do these guys live for? I have had mine for 13 years. He gets along with everyone and I have a very aggressive tank. I don't see them too often around here but I saw one the other day at a LFS but it had ich. They have had it for awhile and I was about to get it but then I noticed the ich. It is about 8 inches (about 20cm). How can you sex them too? I never thought about it but just wondering. Thanks

User avatar
Richard B
Posts: 6685
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:19 pm
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:28)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, snowdrops

Re: Schilbe intermedius (grasscutter catfish)

Postby Richard B » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:17 pm

Have you seen the cat-e-log page http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... cies_id=59 ?

it shows a pair & then shots of individual male & female -useful to distiguish although they might have to be bigger than your to be sexually mature(?)

I would imagine this species could live 20+ years but it is not often kept so you could maybe provide useful info
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010

User avatar
Chrysichthys
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:22 pm
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:43)
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Re: Schilbe intermedius (grasscutter catfish)

Postby Chrysichthys » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:58 pm

katschamne wrote:I saw one the other day at a LFS but it had ich. They have had it for awhile and I was about to get it but then I noticed the ich

I once saw some which arrived at the LFS with ich. LFS tried to cure it with two or three ich remedies sequentially with no success, and in the end they all died. I don't know why the medication didn't work.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

User avatar
sidguppy
Posts: 3827
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:26 pm
My articles: 1
My images: 41
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.
Contact:

Re: Schilbe intermedius (grasscutter catfish)

Postby sidguppy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:49 pm

I kept this fish years ago and have the same experience

an easy to keep fish, low on demand, but if it gets sick, it's a goner.
mine had import-itch on arrival and I lost a few. no medication seemed to work.
I had to resort to some pretty gruesome methods, like stone-age medications, loads of salt and temperatures up to 30'C.


males and females are easy to spot. females get obese and males are darker, the dorsal fin is quite pointy and the nasal barbels are thicker.
Also, when they get frisky, males have a visible papilla right in front of the anal fin. it's not as obvious as, say, an Auchenipterid, but definitely as visible as on a Synodontis.
but closer to the anal fin than a syno.
the place of that papilla is almost the same as with Parauchenipterus galeatus (don't ask me the new name, I mean the driftwood Cat, but I'm rusty)

I used to have 8 and they were visible ALL DAY. just hanging in the middle of the tank waving a bit in the current. they really like a bit of current. fun fish.

the 1 drawback is their gluttony. they can and do manage to starve less competitive tankmates to death, wich I found out with 2 halfgrown Sorubim lima. I had to trade these, cause they were no match for 8 Grasscutters.
and they also can and do eat tankmambers right up to 1/3 of their own size (!!). you expect this of a fish like Chaca or pseudopimelodus.
not these goofy-type fish. but they do.
mine had no trouble at all swallowing 8cm/3" Labeotropheus fuelleborni when 20-22cm/8-9" at all.......
Valar Morghulis

katschamne
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:58 am
Location 2: USA

Re: Schilbe intermedius (grasscutter catfish)

Postby katschamne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:54 am

Well I thought I would up date my post. I now have had this fish for 16 years and it is doing great. He is the only Schilbe intermedius in my tank but he does school with two other catfish in the tank, a sunspot and a Four-lined Pimodella.

As far as having ick in my home aquarium I have never had a problem. We have always run a 25 watt UV sterilizer on tank. I think that it is worth it's weight in gold in my opinion.

Viktor Jarikov
Posts: 2852
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 pm
My images: 8
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Naples, FL, USA
Location 2: N. America...
Interests: Big freshwater catfish and Co.

Re: Schilbe intermedius (grasscutter catfish)

Postby Viktor Jarikov » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:38 pm

I've had a pair for 1/2 year. Nice fish, easy, eats all, visible, fun, with personality.

Chrysichthys wrote:I once saw some which arrived at the LFS with ich. LFS tried to cure it with two or three ich remedies sequentially with no success, and in the end they all died. I don't know why the medication didn't work.

sidguppy wrote:but if it gets sick, it's a goner.
mine had import-itch on arrival and I lost a few. no medication seemed to work. I had to resort to some pretty gruesome methods, like stone-age medications, loads of salt and temperatures up to 30'C.

Wow! Good to know.
sidguppy wrote:I used to have 8 and they were visible ALL DAY. just hanging in the middle of the tank waving a bit in the current. they really like a bit of current. fun fish.

yep, yep, yep. they school with my burmese sun cats, S. limas (or elongatus), etc.
sidguppy wrote:the 1 drawback is their gluttony. they can and do manage to starve less competitive tankmates to death, wich I found out with 2 halfgrown Sorubim lima. I had to trade these, cause they were no match for 8 Grasscutters.

Never experienced it but can see that where Alex is coming from.
sidguppy wrote:and they also can and do eat tankmambers right up to 1/3 of their own size (!!). you expect this of a fish like Chaca or pseudopimelodus. not these goofy-type fish. but they do. mine had no trouble at all swallowing 8cm/3" Labeotropheus fuelleborni when 20-22cm/8-9" at all.......

Wow! Really! Double good to know! Totally unexpected for me although I was always amazed how they can stuff that little stomach - that body part looks like it's made of the stretchiest rubber...
katschamne wrote:Well I thought I would up date my post.

You are the very opposite of me! So commendably reserved :) it is down right unbelievable. When you say things, we really should listen :)
katschamne wrote:I now have had this fish for 16 years and it is doing great.

Would you please share the pics and the size (and the tank size)? Perhaps you can help improve Cat-eLog. Pretty please?
katschamne wrote:We have always run a 25 watt UV sterilizer on tank. I think that it is worth it's weight in gold in my opinion.

Excellent idea.
Thebiggerthebetter


Return to “African Catfishes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


© 1996 - 2014 PlanetCatfish.com, part of the Aquatic Republic Network group of websites. All Rights Reserved. By accessing this site you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use.