New Synodontis decorus not eating

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: New Synodontis decorus not eating

Post by Birger »

What if he doesn't start going after the food himself? I don't want to keep on placing food directly in front of him forever you know...
That is understandable, but a few days shouldn't hurt, it is still worried about being thrashed....give it some time...meaning days, it will calm down and get to know its new tank. When it relaxes and figures out it does not have to worry about being chased its focus will return to its stomach.
It will take time...be patient

Birger
Birger
emartin
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Jersey Shore

Post by emartin »

andywoolloo wrote:does he even not go after the defrosted bloodworms?

Can you try fresh seafood? I have cooked my eupterus's mussells and then chooped them up fine and also fresh shrimp chopped up. They went orgasmic over it. Feeding frenzy, shrimp and mussells over the tank. Maybe that will get him excited?
Currently the only frozen foods I have are mysis shrimp and baby brine shrimp for fry. I generally never keep bloodworms because of how unhealthy it is for African Rift Lake Cichlids...

Personally I'd only feel comfortable feeding something that if the tyrannochromis get a hold of it it won't harm them either...like krill, prawn, jumbo shrimp, mysis shrimp, cyclops, daphnia, etc...
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Your set-up sounds fine :thumbsup:

My personal preference would be (in a 265g) to have 5 or 6 decorus - 2 or 3 would generally be ok but a larger group would be better.

I think keeping a single Eupterus with a single decorus would have to be a "suck it & see" event.

If the decorus is otherwise healthy & in good condition, you could try not feeding for a week so it's basic survival instincts are sharpened & then offer a small amount of food (at this point anything should be devoured!) It should then be ok with what you offer it, but variety is always good so it doesn't become fussy
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
emartin

Post by emartin »

Richard B wrote:Your set-up sounds fine :thumbsup:

My personal preference would be (in a 265g) to have 5 or 6 decorus - 2 or 3 would generally be ok but a larger group would be better.

I think keeping a single Eupterus with a single decorus would have to be a "suck it & see" event.

If the decorus is otherwise healthy & in good condition, you could try not feeding for a week so it's basic survival instincts are sharpened & then offer a small amount of food (at this point anything should be devoured!) It should then be ok with what you offer it, but variety is always good so it doesn't become fussy
Well the thing is, I'd like to keep the catfish life long. I guess I could invest in a larger group in a little while (not now, shipping is too expensive to ship from Texas to New Jersey overnight, let alone the cost of the fish themselves) and when they get huge sell a few to end up with a smaller group. The two at my LFS lay next to each other all the time and they're either full grown or close to it, so I'm figuring as they age they lose interest in constant quarelling...someone correct me if I'm wrong though in making that assumption...

In the mean time, I'm going to stop directly feeding the catfish now. I'll make sure a few pellets drop down near where he's hiding but far enough where if he's hungry enough he'll have to come out and get it.

~Ed
emartin

Post by emartin »

The Tyrannochromis acted very strange today. At first I thought that they may have Malawi bloat again, but I fed a little bit of Dainichi Color Supreme 1mm pellets right before the light timer was to turn off and all of them ate. I think they were just spooked by the catfish...after all the catfish is hogging the Tyrannochromis' favorite hiding places...

He still isn't coming out of the pvc pipe yet. I'm doing to tomorrow or the day after drop in some mysis shrimp or daphnia and see if he goes after any then...

Anyway I'll keep you guys updated.

~Ed
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

2 is never or rarely a good number in Synodontis universe.
even with different species you'll easily end up with 1 upper dog.....don't have to explain about the other position, do I?

decorus are very docile as big Syno's go. the only other larger Synodontis with as much lack of character would be the S pleurops.
another social easygoing peaceful Synodontis.

combining species like this with oppertunists like the euptertus or large cichlids is always a risk and IMO not recommended.
it might be sheer stress that makes this fish hide and not eat.
if it IS, no amount of hassling in or around the tank will make any effort, unless the culprits are removed.
Valar Morghulis
emartin

Post by emartin »

andywoolloo wrote:does he even not go after the defrosted bloodworms?

Can you try fresh seafood? I have cooked my eupterus's mussells and then chooped them up fine and also fresh shrimp chopped up. They went orgasmic over it. Feeding frenzy, shrimp and mussells over the tank. Maybe that will get him excited?
I am not feeding any bloodworms at all. They are extremely unhealthy for African cichlids and since that decorus is in my quarantine/temporary-growout 29g with 7 Tyrannochromis nigriventer juveniles I am not going to feed them bloodworms.

The only live/frozen foods I am comfortable with feeding are crustaceans (like mysis shrimp, brine shrimp (<---not really brine shrimp though but I will feed them if you guys suggest it (live ones that is)), krill, prawn, plankton, cyclops, daphnia, jumbo shrimp, etc.) and guppy fry (which I am currently out of guppy fry.... I have to wait for them to breed again). I did consider live mosquito larvae, but being that I am allergic to mosquito bites I didn't want to help them breed :-).

I could try mussells or clams though. If I do, I'd rather find out on my own first whether or not the clams or mussells would be healthy for the cichlids in case they eat some.
emartin

Post by emartin »

I fed some mysis shrimp today. The S. decorus did seem to smell it (looked agitated and fidgeted in his pvc cave) but wouldn't come out to get any, so I squirted a few into the cave for him.

From now on though I am not going to squirt food towards him though...going to try and entice him to come out...
emartin

Post by emartin »

I have problems.

He isn't eating in front of me now, and especially not now since I may have stressed him when I took all the caves out to get the Tyrannochromis out into the main tank. I did put a large pvc pipe that he went in sometimes in the tank, and plan to add the rest back when I do maintenance soon.

But he isn't eating at all in front of me, even when the food is in front of him. I tried Dainichi pellets, frozen krill pieces, flakes, omegasea shrimp pellets, frozen clams, and mysis shrimp and he isn't going after anything (while my S. decorus in my main tank goes nuts over all of that stuff).

What should I do? What could be wrong with it? Is it ill and should I treat the tank? (Meds I have available are Clout, Metronidasole, Furan-2, Tetracycline, QuIck Cure, Evaporated Sea Salt, etc)

Should I maybe fast it for a week or so and then try feeding and see if he goes after any foods then? Could it be that he is just "depressed" or something (being a social fish) and would it be best if I added him to the main tank and just add some pvc pipes for him to hide until the two start getting a long?

Thanks in advance...
~Ed
emartin

Post by emartin »

Marduk wrote:I have problems.

He isn't eating in front of me now, and especially not now since I may have stressed him when I took all the caves out to get the Tyrannochromis out into the main tank. I did put a large pvc pipe that he went in sometimes in the tank, and plan to add the rest back when I do maintenance soon.

But he isn't eating at all in front of me, even when the food is in front of him. I tried Dainichi pellets, frozen krill pieces, flakes, omegasea shrimp pellets, frozen clams, and mysis shrimp and he isn't going after anything (while my S. decorus in my main tank goes nuts over all of that stuff).

What should I do? What could be wrong with it? Is it ill and should I treat the tank? (Meds I have available are Clout, Metronidasole, Furan-2, Tetracycline, QuIck Cure, Evaporated Sea Salt, etc)

Should I maybe fast it for a week or so and then try feeding and see if he goes after any foods then? Could it be that he is just "depressed" or something (being a social fish) and would it be best if I added him to the main tank and just add some pvc pipes for him to hide until the two start getting a long?

Thanks in advance...
~Ed
Anyone? I need to know asap what I should do next...
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

This fish is W/C so there could be internal parasites.

What does it look like? regular or accelerated breathing, bright or dull eyes, clear or blemished skin. full bodied or hollow bellied, deporting normally or struggling to hold position? Perhaps a photo might help us?

Sometimes synos can take many weeks to fully settle & it would appear your fish has had no stable period since you got it, with tank changes, decor changes, fish removal. If everything is ok then it could be a matter of being patient & it taking more time in a stable environment.

emartin

Post by emartin »

Richard B wrote:This fish is W/C so there could be internal parasites.

What does it look like? regular or accelerated breathing, bright or dull eyes, clear or blemished skin. full bodied or hollow bellied, deporting normally or struggling to hold position? Perhaps a photo might help us?

Sometimes synos can take many weeks to fully settle & it would appear your fish has had no stable period since you got it, with tank changes, decor changes, fish removal. If everything is ok then it could be a matter of being patient & it taking more time in a stable environment.
Generally it seems to appear fine, just rarely moving and stuff.

I did notice a large white spot on its snout but figured it was from rubbing around in the bags during shipment, and I did see what appeared like a few wrinkles in its skin.

Should I try treating it with any meds? Fasting? Bloodworms?

~Ed
RickieH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Franksville WI, USA
Location 2: Racine County
Interests: Breeding cichlids,conversation,reading,bicycling when its warm,watching birds...

Post by RickieH »

If frozen shrimp or bloodworms don't work the loss of appetite could be from a parasite.
emartin

Post by emartin »

RickieH wrote:If frozen shrimp or bloodworms don't work the loss of appetite could be from a parasite.
What should I use to treat?

Immediately available medications I have are:
Had-A-Snail (copper sulfate)
QuICK Cure (malachite green I believe and formalin or formaldehyde)
Clout
Furan-2
Tetracycline
Metronidasole

A person I spoke with suggested using Quick Cure and Metronidasole as they are the mildest medications. What do you guys think?

~Ed
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

I have read that Prazipro is good for treating for internal parasites in pl*cos unknown about synos?

How is your syno?
emartin

Post by emartin »

andywoolloo wrote:I have read that Prazipro is good for treating for internal parasites in pl*cos unknown about synos?

How is your syno?
He appears to be doing better now...I must stress the "appears" though. The folks at cichlid-forum.com suggested using Triple Sulfa and I added to the treating regiment 6 tablespoons of sea salt (29gallon tank) and 1tsp of Metronidasole...all of them except for the salt added daily. I also have been feeding only Jungle's anti parasite pellets which have metronidasole and praziq in it. He didn't touch ANY of the pellets (neither did my cichlids when I fed them it for the hell of it...it must taste horrible then..).

However today after 4 days of treatment I fed frozen bloodworms and it looks like he ate it all. He didn't immediate come out to eat it but after I left for five minutes and came back to look I saw him move to the front near where some worms fell and rushed back into the cave (it was no longer hiding and barely moving..). It wouldn't come out again while I was watching to get the rest of the bloodworms cube so I turned the tank light off and left for a half hour and when I came back it looked like 90% of the worms were gone.

So now I believe he really did have a parasite after all. I'm going to be continuing treatment and fast for a few days then try to get him to eat my cichlid pellets, and if he eats them then I'll consider reintroducing him into the tank soon.

Thanks for the concern though. Since I started treatment though it appears his face injury from shipment has rapidly healed...

~Ed
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

yeah!! great to hear! I was worried for him. They can never resist the bloodworms! :lol:
emartin

Post by emartin »

andywoolloo wrote:yeah!! great to hear! I was worried for him. They can never resist the bloodworms! :lol:
Well personally I was going to try Clout if Triple Sulfa didn't work. From my understanding Clout is VERY nasty to scaleless fish, though when I called Aquarium Products they said when they looked up testing trials they didn't find any indication that they had tested it on Mochokidae fish so were unsure if it would affect them or not. The way I saw it, if I did not get this guy eating soon he will die, so I was debating whether I should risk its health with a strong medication or not...

I am glad that I got a good result today...now I just need to see if I can repeat that result in a few days with flakes or pellets...
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

I have heard Clout is pretty wicked.

Maybe can he eat frozen food for awhile, just to get beefed up? My synos love bloodworms, shrimp, krill, spirulina shrimp.

Oh and they love the Hikari sinking canivore tabs and the Omega one sinking shrimp pellets. And they like the earthworm sticks sinking. Oh and the Hikari Ciclhid Gold sinking pellets.
emartin

Post by emartin »

andywoolloo wrote:I have heard Clout is pretty wicked.

Maybe can he eat frozen food for awhile, just to get beefed up? My synos love bloodworms, shrimp, krill, spirulina shrimp.

Oh and they love the Hikari sinking canivore tabs and the Omega one sinking shrimp pellets. And they like the earthworm sticks sinking. Oh and the Hikari Ciclhid Gold sinking pellets.
The decorus in the main tank loves the Dainichi pellets so I don't see why he can't start eating them right away...after the decorus in the main tank starts smelling them he actually tries to dare himself to go out into the daylight (quite funny to watch actually, it'll go out a few inches then rush back in, and when he wants to go to the other side's save he rushes like a bat out of hell to get there...when he gets brave enough though he'd stay out in the light for a good amount of minutes eating whatever pellets or frozen food I fed)...and then goes after the 3mm pellets.

I am going to be feeding krill soon..probably tomorrow to the main tank so I may drop 1 or 2 pieces in the 29gallon for him....I'd rather take it slow though and fast him for a few days.

~Ed

Edit:
Clout actually seemed VERY harmless to my juvenile haps when I treated them with it. Obviously c*****ds are much tougher than catfish though so that may be why.

However either the clout or the disease itself severely infected a 2" albino bushy nose pl*co that I had to euthanize...

..which is another reason why I'm iffy about treating the catfish with it...I guess I could add it and if he spazzes out immediately do several major water changes for example...
emartin

Post by emartin »

So far good news.... He appears to have been eating every day for the past days and greatly appreciated a treat of Krill yesterday, a food that last time I fed he wouldn't touch and the food would just rot away in the tank...

I'm going to continue treatment until next week when I will consider re-introducing him back into the main tank.
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

Good news Marduk!

emartin

Post by emartin »

In preparation for a shipment of fish coming in tuesday (I sometimes use the quarantine as a temporary growout if the fish I am growing out are too small to put in the 120g) I moved the catfish back into the main tank.

Time will tell if the other decorus will welcome his new tankmate or bring on hell like he was doing last time... I just hope now that he's eating well that he will either fight back or just keep on trying to ignore the other one. If I have to though I am prepared to put lots of pvc pipes for hiding in there until they accept eachother's presence...

~Ed
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

I hope he does well, keep us posted!
emartin

Post by emartin »

They keep on fighting every hour or so....none are seriously injured though.

I bought a 2ft long 4"-diameter piece of PVC and had it cut in half for the catfish to use hopefully.

Personally as long as they don't kill each other and they both still eat I am not going to worry about them... I am either going to eventually buy a 3rd decorus to try and divide the aggression three ways or I am going to get 2-4 S. petricolas to use as dither catfish...

None of that is going to be for a while though.

Wish me luck guys.... I don't think the new one ate any pellets today, but when I feed krill later this week I'll keep an eye out to see if he pops out to grab a piece like the other one does...

~Ed
emartin

Post by emartin »

For a few weeks the dominant one kept terrorizing the littler one and cutting up his skin pretty bad.

Well, good news this week. While I do see the dominant one occasionally chase it away from himself, I never see them scuffle badly anymore or non-stop pursuits and they seem to be getting a long. In fact, I've noticed the past few days that now both of them are coming out to get food, not one or the other like it has been.

I'll post again in a few weeks with an update.
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

good news! :thumbsup:

Return to “African Catfishes”