Auchenoglanis eye (pupil) concerns

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Auchenoglanis eye (pupil) concerns

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Over the weekend, I've noticed that the left pupil of my "teenage" Giraffe Catfish (grown from ~5cm SL to ~15cm SL since September 2012) seems to permanently stay quite small at ~1mm diameter, while the right one at ~3mm.

I've not noticed it acting unusually in recent times, but generally speaking, he/she has spent far less time actively swimming during the daytime since the transfer to the ~280l back in March (but the new tank gets direct afternoon sunlight, I have seen him/her being quite active midwater at dusk this weekend).
Ironically, as I'm about to post this thread, I see him/her current surfing midwater (I draped a towel over part of the tank front to create more shade this weekend)!

Discovering this issue was not what I had in mind just before giving him/her another upgrade to my 6-foot tank. There has never been any sign of eye damage that I've seen before on him/her, where the catfish might have banged into a piece of bogwood or been physically attacked by my young (now ~10cm SL, bought at ~4cm SL last September) Chrisichthys ornatus.

Is it safe to say one eye is damaged, perhaps the right one, because the pupil does not appear to be able to be constricted?
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Auchenoglanis eye (pupil) concerns

Post by Birger »

Is it safe to say one eye is damaged, perhaps the right one, because the pupil does not appear to be able to be constricted?
Seems very possible...I do not think there is much you can do about it (unless it is infected) besides keeping healthy conditions and it may heal on its own or the fish will adapt. Your fish may have had this originally or from shipping.I have a blind Synodontis alberti that does just fine in with other synos and an Auchenoglanis senegali.

Birger
Birger

Return to “African Catfishes”