Syno Lucipinnis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Syno Lucipinnis

Post by nvcichlids »

How pushy are these when it comes to less agressive fish? I recently purchased some Xenotilapia to house in my new project 75 gal. I wanted to add some of my syno's to the tank as well, but mine have seemed pushy with the brevis and calvus they are currently with, and I don't want to injure, hurt, startle, etc etc the new Xenotilapia (as they are one of my bucketlist fish, I really want them to be happy.)
What's your favorite Dressing~~
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Syno Lucipinnis

Post by Richard B »

I'd describe them as 'curious' - if the xeno's would be worried by being checked out/investigated, maybe phyllonemus would be a better option.

Lucipinnis seem fine with cyp's & a lot of other tangs but i've not mixed them with the ones you mention
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

I am surprised no one has experience with both of these...
What's your favorite Dressing~~
jerrytheplater
Location 1: Bloomingdale
Location 2: NJ USA
Interests: Aquatic Gardening, Terrestrial Gardening, African Cichlids

Post by jerrytheplater »

I have S. lucipinnis in with a colony of Neolamprologus multifasciatus. The lucipinnis have mainly stayed in a rock pile in the center of the tank. There are 4 eight year old lucipinnis here. I get some fry from the Multies, but not too many.

I have 6 almost two year old S. lucipinnis in a 65 gallon tank that most recently had three pairs of Telmatochromis temporalis which were spawning. The cats were definitely bullied by these fish. I very seldom saw them out swimming. They stayed in the rocks full time. I just got rid of the temporalis yesterday and the lucipinnis were out all day today swimming all over the tank on upside down on the surface.

So now I am wanting to put a breeding pair of Neolamprologus leleupi in this tank where I want to raise the fry from them. I am wondering if I will be successful. I can see the cats wanting the coconut shell cave instead of the leleupi. There are plenty of rocks in this tank.

Here is a poor quality video of this tank when the cats were 5 months old in May 2014. The leleupi you see in the video are the ones I'm getting back from a friend since all of the fish in this video are no longer in there, except for the cats. I may set the rocks back in the tank differently. Not sure yet.

https://youtu.be/FhmauiU-md0
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
http://www.njagc.net/
Gnatochromis1981
Location 1: Leeds
Location 2: West Yorkshire

Post by Gnatochromis1981 »

I have mine with Xenotilapia, Opthalmotilapia and few others. No problems whatsoever. Although mine are twice the size of my S.lucipinnis:-)
Syno1984
Location 1: Illinois
Location 2: United States

Post by Syno1984 »

They are very active and may freak out easily spooked species but at the same time if you have caves or pots, they do a lot of their activity going round and round inside pots and bouncing between them. So I don't foresee any issues.

Return to “African Catfishes”