Syno very plump and not growing

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
jim barry
Location 1: UK
Location 2: South coast

Syno very plump and not growing

Post by jim barry »

Hi all

I got what was sold as a Granulosa a few months ago. Never been able to get good pics of it and not sure if it is a true granny or not. My main concern at the moment is that it is not growing in length but is getting a very fat belly. The fish is around 4" long eats blood worm a few times a week and small catfish pellets, that's about it. He/she is kept in a small 20"x14"x14" tank which is a grow out tank connected to my main tank so has the same water params that are kept in check with a drip system. Has been in this tank for about 2 months only and was in my big sump before that. I moved it as I wanted to keep an eye on what it was feeding. Thinking now that I should put it back in the sump as I am aware that long term this could stunt it's growth.
I will try and get some pics but they never come out that well or try a video.
When I got the fish I read that females tended to be more plump than males so I was not that concerned. But the belly has got fatter but the fish does not seem to grow in length. Could just be me and I have not noticed the growth length ways as I see the fish every day?
I have had synos before that were very plump/fat and they were fine. I may just be paranoid but I love this fish and want it to be healthy and grow to its max size.
Is there anything I can do to ensure it is not getting bloated?
Thanks in advance
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Re: Syno very plump and not growing

Post by pleconut »

Maybe now its at 4 inches going into the bigger tank will be better for it, I can't advise on the problem with the size of the belly, could be maybe more room to grow will resolve it.
Thanks Teresa
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

It's too dangerous to advise anything IMHO without actually seeing the fish. You can use a phototank or any small transparent container to shoot good quality pics or video if you are seriously concerned. It should not hurt the fish. Synos are tough.

Word description is too subjective.

At the same time we can try and help with the ID.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
jim barry

Post by jim barry »

This site will not allow me to upload a vid. Very frustrating. Fed a couple of peas last night which to my surprise he devoured.
jim barry

Post by jim barry »

Try pics
Attachments
IMG_3311.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3305.JPG
jim barry

Re: Syno very plump and not growing with pics

Post by jim barry »

Hope the pics have uploaded ok
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

It does look like a genuine granulosus.

My Granulosus have been quite slow growing with no noticeable difference between tank bred & wild caught. On your fish the belly is very distended & in the last photo the eyes look to be bulging slightly. There could be internal problems such as a build up of fluid which has been seen before in synos. Without knowing exactly what it is it's hard to say for sure how best to treat it.

Can you post a video to youtube? so we can check deportment etc
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
jim barry

Post by jim barry »

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply. If I upload the vid to youtube then copy the link into this thread will you be able to view it then?
Thanks fir the help, I am new to this site.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Hi Jim, I'm not exactly familiar myself with how it works, but you can use the you tube tags, if you click on the Help! Button at the top of the page on the left there's some instructions on how to do this. In the meantime I will try to find out how it works, but if you're still having difficulties let us know.
Thanks Teresa
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Hi Jim, if you go to the post reply box rather than the quick reply. There you will find a box saying you tube in it you put between the brackets with no spaces everything that comes after the v= you dont need to prefix it with the entire URL. Just the part that uniquely identifies your video.
Thanks Teresa
jim barry

Post by jim barry »

jim barry

Post by jim barry »

Thanks for the help, vid doesn't look the best quality but hope you get the idea
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Good that you've managed to sort the you tube vid out, I'm unable to help with what may be the problem with the syno, seems that the enlarged stomach is interfering with the ability to swim. I have to leave it with those who are more familiar with synos than I am to advise you.
Thanks Teresa
Long Barbels
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:12)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Columbus
Location 2: OH

Post by Long Barbels »

Jim, after having watched that video 3 times it would appear to me that your fish has a swim bladder disorder and is struggling to maintain a level swimming motion. Back in the 80's I wrote an article for FAMA magazine dealing with swim bladder disorders in fancy goldfish. After consulting with Dr. Jack Gratzik DVM (U of GA.) we hypothesized it was bacterial in origin and experimented with several antibiotics, using those that had efficacy on gram negative bacteria as the gram positive meds would kill off the nitrifiers in the aquarium. Nothing that we deemed viable to be absorbed thru the gill membranes from the aquarium water seemed to work. At his suggestion we obtained from a local Vet some Chloramphenicol which I injected into the abdominal cavity. After some trial and error as to dosage we had about 75% success with a higher rate when it was administered early. I never tried this on any other specie. Also, here in the U.S. Chloramphenicol was only used in human patients with constant blood monitoring. I'm only suggesting this as a possible last resort treatment and it would probably have to be done by a Vet. If you are interested in pursuing this course of treatment I can probably dig up the article and suggest a possible dosage. In the mean time may I offer some more practical and generic ways to try to relieve his obvious stress.
1- He is struggling against what appears to be a strong current in the tank. Perhaps reducing if not eliminating that current might help and just run an air stone or sponge filter.
2- Lower the depth of the water to 4-5".
3- Try an antibiotic that has demonstrated ability to be absorbed internally. Double dose day 1 and single dose each of next 4 days. Sorry but I can't recommend any as I've been out of the business for some years and have little current knowledge of what is now available and effective.
4- 50% - 75% water change daily.
5- If you can find some frozen Spirulina you might try feeding him that for a spell.
As I have a Granulosus that I admire greatly and which didn't come cheap, I offer these thoughts in hope that yours will recover and live a long happy life with you. FWIW-mine was about 2" when I acquired him ~6 months ago and is now 4". He was captive bred.
Best of luck and keep us posted.

Long Barbels
jim barry

Post by jim barry »

Hi Long Barbels

First off many thanks for the very in depth reply, it is very appreciated.
I am away on hols for 2 weeks in a few days time so have little choice but to leave the situation as it is at the moment.
I have been feeding him defrosted frozen peas with the shell off for the past few days which he loves. Probably me being hopeful but he looks a little better for this.
When I return from hols I will place him into a hospital tank and treat for bloat. I can then give him the TLC he needs/deserves.
For now I have reduced the flow in the tank. This tank is linked to my main system and receives 2 water changes per day automatically.
My son is looking after my fish whilst I am away and I shall instruct him to give the fish minimal feedings only until I return.
Many thanks again for taking the time o post a very informative answer.
Jim

Return to “African Catfishes”