Disappearing Microsynodontis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
gltjc
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Disappearing Microsynodontis

Post by gltjc »

I just introduced a group of 5 Microsynodontis sp. to my recently matured 600l tank that will become a Central African community. They only have 6 Otos for company right now and the tank is highly structured.

They’ve completely disappeared both during the day and as far as I can tell from torch exploration they aren’t out at night. This is after 4 days. I’m hoping this is natural nerves and that when I start adding shoaling fish above them they will get braver. Should I be worried!?

Any tips on getting them out and about a bit more? Some live worms?

Any thoughts welcome!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Disappearing Microsynodontis

Post by bekateen »

Hi gltjc,

I was foster-caring for some (not my own) for about two months. They hid continuously. I rarely saw them. They hid in caves, under rocks and logs, and in plants.

If you can, try feeding live black worms at night and watch by torchlight. You may see them emerge.

Good luck, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
synolover
My cats species list: 23 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 4
Location 1: DC area, Virginia
Location 2: USA

Post by synolover »

In my experience with my microsynodontis they do hide a lot. I did see them more often when I put a lot of leaves in the tank. It might be that they feel more comfortable venturing out with more hiding spots, although it sounds like you provide them with a lot of cover.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

When I had 10 in a high current setup (120x30x37cm ~140l with ~1200lph filter turnover), they were very visibly active during the day, surfing the current (at the time I think I had them with my 8 Alestopetersisus sp.1). But as I lost some, they became more reclusive, I very rarely see glimpses of my last remaining two.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
gltjc

Post by gltjc »

Thanks all. Sounds like they are acting fairly naturally. I don’t really need to see them - but good to be able to check occassionally that they are OK!

There is a decent amount of cover overall but not the kind of density at substrate level that leaf litter will provide. I plan to add leaves at some point so maybe should get on it.

The social element worries me more. I have 5 in a 10’ long tank so they will be feeling a bit lonelier than 10 in 4’...!

Will get some worms.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

It is hard to see them in a 80 to 100 liter tank let alone a 300...they are very very reclusive usually only coming out if food is added to the tank. Then they dart around like crazy for awhile then dissapear again.

Birger
Birger
gltjc

Post by gltjc »

I think I still have 4, but it is super hard to tell. Possible that the 5th is still in the tank somewhere. It is now getting quite well grown in and so there is a lot of cover and some leaf litter. They dart around like crazy and feeding time and lay up the rest of the time somewhere dark.

My little whiskery friends don't seem to have any meaningful stripes but be black/dark brown with clear to white-ish fins. Anyone got any idea how to ID them? They were sold as 'Microsynodontis sp', so that wasn't terribly helpful!

Return to “African Catfishes”