' Zebra ' Syno nigriventris

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Bamboo
Location 2: Austin

' Zebra ' Syno nigriventris

Post by Bamboo »

Hello
I got in a group of ' zebra' Syno nigriventris…. I was told they are not a hybrid but a locality. They seem to coming into the fish trade here in USA since this summer of 2019. Anyone confirm about this particular fish? Im not sure if it's a ssp? or a locality? It looks like a ' normal' nigriventris body shape and personality, just a very black and white banded pattern, very distinct. I can definitely get pictures if need be.
Thanks in advance!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: ' Zebra ' Syno nigriventris

Post by bekateen »

Hi Bamboo,

Yes, Synodontis nigriventris sp. Zebra kutu is a natural morph. As far as I know, same care as typical nigriventris.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=334.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Bamboo wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 03:32 Hello
I got in a group of ' zebra' Syno nigriventris…. I was told they are not a hybrid but a locality. They seem to coming into the fish trade here in USA since this summer of 2019.
They aren't a hybrid. They have been in the US longer than this summer! I don't recall exactly when they were first around, but I took this pic December 2004
MVC-501cf.jpg
They are at two stores here in Austin right now. A favorite of mine! :)
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I´ve seen them offered here too. A bit more expensive than the `normal` ones
cats have whiskers
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Yes I bought a group of 12 from Rivercity yesterday.... I've never seen these...I was just told these started coming in this summer of 2019, I know nothing about them... Except keep them like normal looking nigriventris.. It would be nice to know the locality of these and the species name...
are these pictures of yours adult ???
Dave Rinaldo wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 04:42
Bamboo wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 03:32 Hello
I got in a group of ' zebra' Syno nigriventris…. I was told they are not a hybrid but a locality. They seem to coming into the fish trade here in USA since this summer of 2019.
They aren't a hybrid. They have been in the US longer than this summer! I don't recall exactly when they were first around, but I took this pic December 2004 MVC-501cf.jpg
They are at two stores here in Austin right now. A favorite of mine! :)
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

The pic I posted above are juvenile fish. You can also see it in the link posted above by bekateen. Some of the other pics are also mine.

Here are two pics I took last month.
DSC_2731c.jpg
DSC_2717cf.jpg
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Thanks everyone for your help, this is exciting to work with these and to know exactly what I'm working with. Cheers!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

No worries, good to see everyone chip in. Just because I'm a fishnerd I have a lot of fish books, there was something bothering me about the "since 2019" thing because I had a vague notion that I'd seen the ZUSD in a US book at some point long ago.

Took me a while but I found it, this is from Dr. Peter Lewis' "Common Names of Tropical Fish" published in 1984 and, to my knowledge, the only fishbook every produced using a CBM64 home computer (another passion of mine - this computer has 65536 bytes of memory and I knew most of the important ones off by heart - still do).

Anyway it's a lovely drawing by one Gian Padovani which is reproduced here. Looks like the same fish to me and if so means it's been around since the 80s which makes sense as they were the syno heyday.
s n z.jpg
Jools

Return to “African Catfishes”