Pseudomystus Siamensis Tankmates?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Narelle
I've donated: $44.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:4, k:4)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:4)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:38)
My Wishlist: 133
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA

Pseudomystus Siamensis Tankmates?

Post by Narelle »

EDIT: I no longer need assistance choosing tankmates. My tank has been stocked. See my post below for updates and pictures.

I am looking for some tankmates for my Pseudomystus siamensis. I just got him a nice new 55 gallon long tank that I plan to fully plant. It'll have lots of caves and driftwood for hiding as well. I did a lot of research looking for different fish I could house him with, and also asked on another forum, one for planted tanks, to get opinions on the species I found. That only got me more frustrated and lost on what to house him with, so I figured I'd look to the experts and ask people who've actually kept this fish before.

Based on what I've read on this site and a few others, he can be kept with peaceful american cichlids (which I don't dislike, but have no interest in getting), larger cyprinids, or larger characins. I've also seen places that say tank mates no less than 3" can work.

The fish I was looking at based on this information were Denison Barbs (school of 6) or Tiger Barbs (school of 8 - 12). On the other forum I was told that the Denisons couldn't be housed in a 55 and that Tigers would eventually be eaten. Is that accurate? I know cats tend to have big mouths, but Tiger Barbs are supposed to get up to 3" in length, half the size of a full grown asian bumblebee, and are fairly round in shape. Would my cat eat them, or even go after a school of decent sized fish?

In addition, I have a couple other fish from existing tanks that I'd like to move up to my 55:
- 1 Rosy Red Minnow, that is a full grown 3" fish and very fast - I was also told this fish would get eaten
- 1 Red Tailed Black Shark, currently about 3"
- 2 bristlenose plecos, one albino and one regular, at 1.5" - 2" currently, but growing rapidly

Would I have problems with those fish and my bumblebee cat? The people on the other forum talk like bumblebees are eating machines and will devastate tank populations of anything remotely smaller than them, but here I've seen them referred to as peaceful. Mine is currently kept alone, but if anything seems timid. What are these fish really like?

I'm also open to other suggestions. I'd love to get some other cat species if I've got the space. I'm basing my water parameters around my bumblebee and my plants, so I'm aiming for a water temperature around 76 degrees. My water's pH is naturally a bit high, but the tank will have driftwood and possibly peat that should keep it at a more mid-range level.

Other fish I've considered:
- Swordtails (Hoping he'll be content picking off the fry and leave the adults alone)
- Glass cats (Worried my bumblebee or RTBS would bother them, and that my plant lights would be too bright, though I will be getting some floaters in addition to the cover provided by the rooted plants, caves, and driftwood)
- A similarly sized predatory fish that occupies the mid-upper water levels and is active during the day?
- Another bumblebee (Thought I'd pick up a female and hope that maybe I would stumble across the necessary breeding conditions - I know captive breeding hasn't been documented, but even if they didn't I'd just love to have another one of these awesome cats) [EDIT: Just saw that there has been a successful breeding]

I definitely appreciate any input. This is something I've been struggling with, and I thought I had it figured out, but now based on what I heard from the other forum, my plans are pretty much down the drain.
Last edited by Narelle on 11 Sep 2014, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Huge fan and collector of Bagrid catfishes.
Graduate student, studying systematic ichthyology.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Re: Pseudomystus Siamensis Tankmates?

Post by racoll »

On the other forum I was told that the Denisons couldn't be housed in a 55
Yes, a 55 is a bit small for them long term.
and that Tigers would eventually be eaten. Is that accurate? I know cats tend to have big mouths, but Tiger Barbs are supposed to get up to 3" in length
No tiger barbs won't be eaten. They'll perfect I think, although you'll need a good number to reduce their aggressive tendencies. Better might be the clown barb (Puntius dunckeri, often sold as Puntius everetti). Maybe the ruby barb Pethia nigrofasciata, also.

Think about rasboras too, especially the slightly larger ones like Rasbora caudimaculata. One of the Trichopodus gouramis might also be an option.
- 1 Rosy Red Minnow, that is a full grown 3" fish and very fast - I was also told this fish would get eaten
Won't get eaten, but water is a bit warm for this temperate species.
- 1 Red Tailed Black Shark, currently about 3"
Likely to become aggressive to the when it gets bigger.
- 2 bristlenose plecos, one albino and one regular, at 1.5" - 2" currently, but growing rapidly
These will be fine.
Narelle

Post by Narelle »

Thank you so much for the help! :) I'll definitely check out those species and see what I'll be able to get ahold of here. May still go for the tigers because I've always loved them and they're readily available...but I definitely feel much better knowing that they won't get eaten!
I'll probably look into rehoming the RTBS and moving my minnow into a more appropriate tank.
Thanks again!
elizconlayb
Location 2: united states

Post by elizconlayb »

What have you paired them up with? Hoping I can see a picture of them.
Narelle

Post by Narelle »

Don't know if you'll ever see this at this point, months later, but it took me awhile to find that you'd replied (it's been a rough year), so I'll just answer now. ^^;;

Here's my handsome boy now.

Here's his home. He lives in the huge cave to the left, which is connected on both levels. The DIY fry saver is out now, but that one darn piece of wood still refuses to sink!

Here are a few of his tankmates. I did end up going with tiger barbs and I'm glad I did! They are very personable little fish. I currently have a school of 9, but I'd like to up their numbers to 12 - 15. The only trouble is that they're little pigs and try to steal my bumblebee's food!

I did originally have both bristlenose and the minnow in there, but the minnow died (not from any tankmates) and my male bristlenose went missing and I assume died and got eaten (before my Pseudomystus went in).

My female bristlenose is doing very well, however! I need to get a good ID on her one of these days, I'd love to know for sure what kind I have. I'm guessing Ancistrus cf cirrhosus, but I'm no expert.

I am interested in attempting breeding, if I can get a female to cohabitate with my male in here, I just haven't got ahold of one to try yet. I'm limited on tank space (not allowed to bring anymore tanks into the house), so she'd have to live in here. I haven't rehomed the RTBS yet either, so he may end up in here still, if he can get along with everyone alright. Still a good chance he'll be rehomed.
kevin.chambers.739

Post by kevin.chambers.739 »

I have 4 tiger bards. 6 peacock chiclides 2 bumblebee cats. 3 striped Raphael's and a giant pleco all in a 120 gallon. Everybody gets along great. The bumblebees are very shy no worries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Return to “Asian Catfishes”