Hemibagrus wyckioides

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
sbusby91
Location 2: South Florida

Hemibagrus wyckioides

Post by sbusby91 »

I recently picked up one of these at a LFS and am unsure whether I will be able to keep it. It is currently 3 inches in an 110 gallon tank. Current tank mates are an 8 inch Lima Shovel-nose and a 7 inch Sleeper Goby.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Hemibagrus wyckioides

Post by Shane »

A beautiful fish and also one of the few that will happily kill even tankmates that are too large to eat.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome to the Planet, neighbor! How much do you know about this fish? I mean was it an impulse buy or an educated one? What's your experience? Such a large and aggressive fish is a really tall order, decades-long, demanding, and expensive commitment.

A collection of relevant links for reference: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... lit=+thumb
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
sbusby91
Location 2: South Florida

Post by sbusby91 »

It was most definitely an impulse buy. After scrolling through those links, it is safe to say he is above my pay grade. Luckily I was able to return him. Thanks guys.
unblinded
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Post by unblinded »

sbusby91 it's great to hear that even though you made an impulse buy you were willing to do some forward thinking. So many times folks in the hobby just buy the fish and don't worry about the future. Good on you for taking him back to the store and not insisting your situation would be different. My hat's off to you. ^:)^ wyckioides are beautiful but out of most peoples abilities to house/care for them properly.
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
KarthikC
Location 2: Bangalore

Hemibagrus wyckioides

Post by KarthikC »

As Viktor said, this fish would demand long term commitment. That monster is going to gulp just about anything that fits in it's mouth.

Good that you realised you can't handle it and returned it. But, always nice to have catfish at your place. Good luck and looking forward to seeing some pics of your setup.

Cheers,

Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Asian Catfishes”