Chaca sp tank sizes?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Chaca sp tank sizes?

Post by catfishchaos »

Hello everyone

I've been long debating purchasing a specimen (or a few) of a Chaca sp and although Its not something I think I could get right know (my only free tank is an 8.5 gallon :(( ) It is something I might get down the road. how many gallons would you recommend for a single Chaca? How many additional gallons would you have per additional Chaca?

Regards
James
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chaca sp tank sizes?

Post by Silurus »

A safe bet would be at least 15 gallons (I think it might even be possible to fit two in a tank that size).
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

Silurus wrote:A safe bet would be at least 15 gallons (I think it might even be possible to fit two in a tank that size).
Thanks HH!
That 26 gallon bowfront at the LFS just got that much harder to say no to :-p . I think I will work some members of the Aspredinidae family first and see how much I enjoy the really well hidden sp but their all catfish and all equally entertaining to me (although I hear watching both sp is like watching paint dry).
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

I've got to bump this to ask: is 15 gallons for an adult Chaca? I know they don't move much but I can't tell if this recommendation is for a sedentary 7" adult or just for a juvenile.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I kept two adults in a 15 gal for over a year without issue. Substrate was a mix of fine sand and peat. No other decor.

For me the biggest hurdle to keeping them was not care, but feeding. You need a constant source of disease free live food that eat at, or sink to, the substrate. I picked up bags of cheap cichlid fry at local club auctions when I could and otherwise fed nightcrawlers.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

Thanks. That's helpful. I won't bother looking for any Chaca then until I get a handle on a food source.
massimiliano 72
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 1: Italy
Location 2: rome

Post by massimiliano 72 »

Hello Shane you can put a picture of your setup?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Sorry, the group I kept was in the late 90s. The tank has been broken down and moved several times since I kept Chaca.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “Asian Catfishes”