Black Lancer cat with ich

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Fishybotany
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: California
Location 2: USA

Black Lancer cat with ich

Post by Fishybotany »

Using a salt and warm water method nearly killed her. So now after getting rid of the salt in the water through water changes and lowering the temp to 78f. Ive decide to use Kordons rid ich plus. So far my lancer ia ahowing lower stress levels and can breathe easier.
What advice would all of you catfish experts have for me?
Im currently doing spot checks on her every 2hrs. I need to sleep lol, its midnight here in california.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Black Lancer cat with ich

Post by naturalart »

First off, nice fish! hard to find those around here (bay area), so I know you paid a grip for it. Right now the gills are probably pretty well damaged by the salt. And I haven't bought 'rid ich' for some time now but, if it has malachite green in it they recommend you use it at half dose? 'naked'(scaleless) catfish don't handle that stuff well. I would maintain parameters where they are now and give it some time for its gill rakers to heal. Then see if you can increase the heat again, keeping in mind 3 things: increase the oxygen also, the warmer the water the less available oxygen, 2nd: that these fish have small mouths, so probably don't take in alot of oxygen in the first place, 3rd, I hope you have it in quarantine. my 2¢ and Good Luck.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

I've found this species quite sensitive to meds. I'd up the temp & increase aeration massively whilst doing a half dose with meds. Wooden airstone with masses of fine bubbles & internal powerfilter/powerhead to cause surface agitation
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Fishybotany

Post by Fishybotany »

Thank you guys. I ended up doing one full dose for 24hrs and then for 48hrs so far I've been doing a full dose every 12 hrs with a 25% water change before each dosage. I have two air pumps running with 3 airstones. So far she has been doing alot better than with the salt. I'll dial things down to half doses and see if she improves even more. Temperature is at 80f
Unfortunately I didnt quarantine her. Lesson learned. But she is the only catfish in a 30 gallon with 3 other fish.

Actually I must confess I only paid $18 for her. I even bought two more at a different lfs for 25 each they are in a 40 breeder for now.. They were so cheap because the lfs said they're supplier got them captive breed. I believe their supplier is based in Singapore if I remeber correctly. Ill post another thread to discuss if captive breeding could be true.
Last edited by Fishybotany on 13 Apr 2016, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
Fishybotany

Post by Fishybotany »

Here is a link to my thread on MFK about this, it has photos.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... 531/page-4

Return to “Asian Catfishes”