Researching on Breeding Bagrichthys macracanthus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Fishybotany
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: California
Location 2: USA

Researching on Breeding Bagrichthys macracanthus

Post by Fishybotany »

I have been able to aquire 4 juvenile Bagrichthys macracanthus. Iam hoping to have both sexes present.
I would like any help on finding out what it takes to breed these guys or breeding conditions of related species that I might try on the black lancers.
So far I know that at least as juveniles they can cohabit together, with an obvious pecking order that is inforced with just circling each other.
I have two of them in a 40 breeder, one in a 30 gallon and one in another 40 breeder.
Thanks for reading.
Proteus
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Chicago, IL

Re: Researching on Breeding Bagrichthys macracanthus

Post by Proteus »

Wow. No one bothered to respond. I am interested in your project as I am planning on trying to get in some Bagroides melapterus when time is right for me to do a fish tank again.

How is the progress so far?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I don't think there is any recorded information on breeding them.

Jools
Narelle
I've donated: $44.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:4, k:4)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:38)
My Wishlist: 133
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA

Post by Narelle »

When I did my research on breeding Pseudomystus siamensis (still haven't gotten to try, unfortunately) I combed through pages and pages of google searches and read every scientific article I could find on the species. There was a lot of good information about them that took a lot of digging to get to.

A quick google search just now ("Bagrichthys macracanthus spawn") turned up this PDF (from the catfish study group, according to the url) that has good information. It suggests to me that you'd have the best luck replicating the rainy season, both in water conditions and food availability. A dry season preceeding that couldn't hurt.

I didn't come across anything that suggested where or how this species lays their eggs, so it might be worth trying to replicate their spawning sites (flooded riparian areas) to make sure appropriate spawning sites are available.

There's information out there, if you dig enough, that can give you enough of a foundation to start and experiment with. But it takes a lot time and thorough searching. Since this species hasn't been successfully bred, searching like this would probably be the best way to start.
Huge fan and collector of Bagrid catfishes.
Graduate student, studying systematic ichthyology.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I spent years working with several bagrid spp, mainly Mystus, and never had a successful spawn. If I were to give it a go again, especially with a larger genus as you are contemplating, I would try raising them in an indoor pond or large tank keeping the sexes separately. I would then seed and mature an outdoor pond so it was full of live foods. Transfer the females, give them 4-6 weeks on live food and then add the male or males. I would stuff the pond with various plants and hope that the naturally occuring temperature changes and summer rains helped nature take its course.
No guarantees here as commercial fish farmers have tried similar (with Mystus and Pseudomystus) in ponds in Florida without success.
Hopethat gives you a starting point. Also, as suggested by Narelle, read everything you can about spawning successes for the family.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “Asian Catfishes”