Plants in Akysis vespa tank?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Deb
I've donated: $75.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 8
My cats species list: 38 (i:21, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 11
Location 2: Virginia USA

Plants in Akysis vespa tank?

Post by Deb »

Does anyone keep plants in a tank with Akysis vespa? If so, what sort of plants are working out the best? And what is your planting scheme? That is, do you plant the perimeter of the tank only?

Some of my plants have been uprooted by my vespa, but I don't want to give up on plants for this tank. If you have any tips for me, I'll be happy to hear them.

Thanks!
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: Plants in Akysis vespa tank?

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I haven't kept , but I'd try a sand substrate (you can mix sand and fine rounded gravel, and let the current sort them), some rounded cobbles, structural leaf litter and some wood. The leaves will tend to end up where the flow is lowest.

Leaves like Camellia, Oak or Magnolia grandiflora would do. They sell Magnolia leaves for Dart Frog vivariums etc.

For plants I'd try some Cryptocoryne spp., Cryptocoryne x willisii(http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetai ... (107)/4559) is a good one, and so are the various forms of C. wendtii (http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetai ... 9TC)/19226).

Other than that moss is always good, Java moss or Fontinalis antipyretica would be fine.

cheers Darrel
Deb
I've donated: $75.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 8
My cats species list: 38 (i:21, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 11
Location 2: Virginia USA

Re: Plants in Akysis vespa tank?

Post by Deb »

Thanks, Darrel.
Sorry for the late acknowledgement - we had two medical crises at my house, so there was no time for Planet Catfish. All is well, now, btw ...

My Akysis tank is already very much as you describe. The sand bed is deep, and there is a wide line of flat river rocks and "boulders" going the length of the tank. The Akysis bury themselves mostly near or in the rocks. Sometimes they bury too close to the plants and uproot them.

That's why I asked about perimeter planting and specific layouts for plants.

I solved my own problem by simply taking out the plant in question, which was Hemianthus macranthoides. There was too much of it, anyway.

The Ludwigia around the perimeter and in corner clusters is fine, and stands up to the burying/unburying activity of these cats. I may add a couple of Magnolia leaves, as you suggest, as I have been using them for years with other small catfish, specifically Otocinclus.
b-)

Return to “Asian Catfishes”