Indian Hemibagrus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Re: Indian Hemibagrus

Post by Shovelnose »

Thanks Viktor, that's a major relief! I prefer to keep a variety when it comes to feed and the marine feed I get is quite effective. Come monsoon (July onward), I'll get an unlimited supply of freshwater crabs as well.

I've attached the images below for your reference.
The 'wet' form usually comes with other random crustaceans and even small fish at times.
The 'wet' form usually comes with other random crustaceans and even small fish at times.
The dry form is EXTREMELY pungent and drives the fish crazy when dropped in. Both forms are easily procurable and are very very moderately priced.
The dry form is EXTREMELY pungent and drives the fish crazy when dropped in. Both forms are easily procurable and are very very moderately priced.
The Hemibagrus hasn't shown much interest in the clams yet.
The Hemibagrus hasn't shown much interest in the clams yet.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

It is now eating clams and Massivore, some nice dorsal extensions developing as well.
Balaji

Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

I've noticed that the larger bagrids (Rita and Hemibagrus) always clear out the sand around their territory. I have tried fine sand, river sand and gravel and everything invariably gets swiped away.
Balaji

bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Wow, nice, Balaji. It's an active fish, that's for sure! :-D

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Thanks Eric, this video was taken at 5 am or so. Tank decor by day and greedy bagrid at night, that's the best way to describe it.
Balaji

minipol
My cats species list: 29 (i:14, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:22)
Spotted: 22
Location 2: Belgium

Post by minipol »

Seems quite active in the video. I have noticed the same with my Horabagrus: they tend to move the sand where they like to hide. Part of it is because they quickly accelerate when swimming. Your Hemibagrus seems even faster.

My Horabagrus hide more and are less active now I use a lot of wood and fake plants. On the other hand, they "hide" more in spots where you can see them.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Ok, that does makes sense but the R.chrysea I used to keep actually used to sweep the area clean, I could see the presence of gravel bothering it. I later found out that this species is usually found around fine sand and added the same to no avail. Swept away.

This H.punctata seems very active at night and sometimes during the day as well. I realised keeping the tank as dark as possible really helps these catfish settle down. I never had to make an effort with the other bagrids I have kept.

I kept a H.brachysoma many many moons ago and it was always out in the open. It later went to friend and polished off half his cyprinids. A proper bullet proof catfish. It was collected in the Chalakudy, punctured the bag and had almost no water by the time I reached home (~15 hours). Dropped it into the tank and it started eating within half an hour!!
Balaji

Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

A blurry video of the four years later. The tank is in a nook in the balcony and the sunlight, algae and lack of access ensure the video resembles a found footage horror movie. All the gravel has been swept to one side by the fish and due to the current as well.

It hasn't really grown but looks healthy, I have faced the same (slow growth) with as well. comes from sections of rivers with very heavy flow and high DO, I suspect the DO combined with space contributed to the growth issue with this fish. It is soon getting an upgrade with increased flow, lets see if that makes a difference. Feed is a mix of Hikari Massivore, Ken's Aqua Stable and Ken's Krill pellets.

Ps : There is a white patch at the base of the dorsal-fin spine. I initially (2 years ago) thought it was a physical wound but it neither healed nor worsened, not sure what to make of it.
Balaji

bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

It eats well! :))

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Wonderful to see a 4 year update! Such a fun, high strung fish in your videos. Hard to believe it is a tank decor by day.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

bekateen wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 15:47 It eats well! :))
Definitely, took a little time to get it on Ken's feed and it has really taken to the pellets.

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 14:35 Wonderful to see a 4 year update! Such a fun, high strung fish in your videos. Hard to believe it is a tank decor by day.
Any and all movement is only during feeding time, tank decor is a very generous compliment. :icon-lol:

A few large snails might help with the algae but I am not sure if this fish will leave snails alone.
Balaji

Return to “Asian Catfishes”