Sun Cat

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
jm
Location 1: NJ

Sun Cat

Post by jm »

Well i am new to this forum and i just recently got some new catfish for my freshwater tank. I bought a Sun Catfish, that is about 2 inches long. What is the growth rate of these fish?? I have read some caresheets, but i was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice from experience with these fish.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

You're not going to like the answer...

... these catfish grow quite quickly. There was a recent thread on these fish. A search on "Sun Catfish" will likely provide the link you are looking for.

HERE is the Cat-ELog page for your fish.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
daddyo72
Location 1: chicago il
Interests: casfish and illinois natives

Also interested

Post by daddyo72 »

i recently bought one myself, and all I know so far is that they are peacful and from what i've seen nocturnal.
jason a sidler
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

I've kept mine w/ a number of catfish & other types of fish.. Yes they are quite peaceful & nocturnal, but of course that peacefulness ends when a fish can fit in that big mouth! Besides their predatory nature they really do seem to be quite harmless compared to many bagrids tho.. Even my small Pimelodella give it a hard time when they see it.

Tyler
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

Sun cats are peaceful and will get along with anything they can't swallow. I had one 11" in length. As has already been stated they get quite large.

Mark
Damion
Location 1: USA

Post by Damion »

Have one for about 2yrs now and it's only 3". Grows very slow. As for peaceful, I guess it's playing around when it chases the larger fishes in the tank
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

In my experience they get territorial with age; they shoal with one and another as smaller fish but that doesn't last. Once they pass the 4-5" mark they really are territoral to the point of damaging the fins and flanks of other fishes UNLESS they have around 2 square feet of territory and lots of caves which diffuses the aggression considerably.

Jools
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

Jools wrote:In my experience they get territorial with age; they shoal with one and another as smaller fish but that doesn't last. Once they pass the 4-5" mark they really are territoral to the point of damaging the fins and flanks of other fishes UNLESS they have around 2 square feet of territory and lots of caves which diffuses the aggression considerably.

Jools
I usually see this behavior start before they're even 4" SL when I see larger ones for sale in the shops.. THey definately have the same attitudes towards eachother as most other Bagrids.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”