ALBINO WELS CATFISH FOR SALE

Items for sale in continental Europe.
Seba
Location 2: Italy

ALBINO WELS CATFISH FOR SALE

Post by Seba »

Hi all, I am selling my 4 albino Silurus glanis, which I have personally imported 5 months ago. They are about 20 cm long and eating very well. The only problem is that I am from Italy, but we can manage a shipping. Only serious inquiries, please. My e-mail is <removed - use site's PM facility> I can send you some pictures. Best regards, Stefano :thumbsup: http://www.stefanobarone.net

[Mod edit: Remove e-mail address, as it only leads to spam, and there is a perfectly functional PM facility that will send an e-mail to the person --Mats]

[Also moved the post to relevant For-Sale section --Mats]
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: ALBINO WELS CATFISH FOR SALE

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Too bad they cannot be shipped to US, too far, can they? Just curious, how much would you like for one?
Viktor
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

if you're in the states, better check the Law

this is one of the species that can and does survive and breed when released in local waters.
there might be a ban on this one for entering the US........

if it gets loose it'll be the new toppredator; it's the biggest catfish in the world and replacing the top of the foodchain usually has a severe impact.
Valar Morghulis
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

If you are in Europe, chack it as well. In the Netherlands, S glanis is a native fish, but heavily threatened, and therefore they are protected, meaning it is illegal to keep S glanis - regardless of where they came from.

I can imagine the same applies for more countries
cats have whiskers
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Post by The.Dark.One »

Currently, this particular fish is also illegal to import AND to keep in the UK without a licence.
sidguppy
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

If you are in Europe, chack it as well. In the Netherlands, S glanis is a native fish, but heavily threatened, and therefore they are protected, meaning it is illegal to keep S glanis - regardless of where they came from.
yes
and
no

without being hampered by any knowledge whatsoever the paper-shuffeling morons at the desks made up the following clumsy construction:
yes it is illegal to keep the natural Silurus glanis wildform variety, even if they're captive bred.

but it's NOT illegal to keep or sell captive bred Silurus glanis if those are an artificial variety.........

this ends up with all kinds of godawful ugly albino or orange 'gold form' catfish being 'released' from ponds once they've outgrown those, after eating all the goldfish, the local ducks visiting it and the unsuspecting housecat that tried to fish out a goldie.

as a result; the albino Silurus glanis is all over the place since a few months and massive numbers of them will be for sale once the pond hobby season starts (in about a month!)

expect albino Wels to be quite abundant a few years from now in every canal or lake.

typical Dutch government incompetence.
Valar Morghulis
wrasse
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

sidguppy wrote:expect albino Wels to be quite abundant a few years from now in every canal or lake.
You are absolutely right. Just like the common carp that are currently hogging the waterways in the UK.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

All right, it took some time but I got to the bottom of this, I suppose. I spoke with the Dept of Enviromental Conservation officer in charge, and he informed me that there are only 4 fishes (one is a family - the infamous Syracuse NY case of Rocky the snakehead, see web if interested) illegal in NY state listed in an official excerpt below (from paragraph 180.9). Keep in mind we are speaking of in-house, private aquariums (ponds have additional regulations, say a grass carp, aka white amur, is the most heavily regulated fish in NY state - last year, I had to get a licence for one just to get it for my 10,000 gal backyard pond and I had to claim I need him for algae control, which is somewhat true, otherwise, they would deny my application - cannot have him for esthetics; it is also critical whether the pond has connections, ins or outs, to other watersheds, state waters, rivers, brooks, etc., so fish could potentially escape on its own).

(b) Prohibitions.
(1) Except as provided in subdivisions c and d of this section, no person shall buy, sell or offer for sale, possess, transport, import or export, or cause to be transported, imported or exported live individuals or viable eggs of the following species of fish, which the Department of Environmental Conservation (department) has determined present a danger to indigenous fish populations:
(i) Silver carp (Hypophthalmicthys molitrix)
(ii) Bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis)
(iii) Black carp (Mylopharyngodon piceus)
(iv) Snakehead fish of the genera Channa and Parachanna (or the generic synonyms of Bostrychoides, Opicephalus, Ophiocephalus, and Parophiocephalus) of the Family Channidae (VJ: long list of about 40 fish ensues...)

Thank you all for suggestions, thoughts and care.

Viktor
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

yeah, he mentioned piranhas are banned too; why they are not on the list? don't know yet; but I CAN HAVE A WELS! no catfish prohibitions for NY state; Wo-hoo!!!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:yeah, he mentioned piranhas are banned too; why they are not on the list? don't know yet; but I CAN HAVE A WELS! no catfish prohibitions for NY state; Wo-hoo!!!
Except it would probably be a lot happier in your outdoor pond than in the house. They do, after all, grow very large.

--
Mats
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

well, of course!! I would not torture a 10' wels in a 25' x 6' x 3' indoor pond, but he could be happy there until he reaches say 4'-5', right? Then will be the time for the next step, quite a few years from now, hopefully (in the scenario that I will get him smaller or small initially).
fugupuff

Post by fugupuff »

I have a couple of them for sale, at 7" right now, please email me for detailed informationat amazonaq@gmail.com
I'm in Southern California, US. Pick up for shipping is ok,
Regards,

Wes
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

are you uncomfortable with saying here how much you want for them?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
fugupuff

Post by fugupuff »

yes, please email me if interested please.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

So you use Planet Catfish as a means to sell some fish, but you won't answer a simple question wrt price?
That makes me very uncomfortable.

Return to “For Sale (Europe)”