FS-L183 Starlight Bristlenose Plecostomus

Items for sale in the United States of America and Canada.
bsmith
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: St.Louis, MO

FS-L183 Starlight Bristlenose Plecostomus

Post by bsmith »

My breeding group spawned again and now the babies are big enough (1.5") for me to let go. These are some of the most intriguing fish I have ever kept. They are home in a normal community set up or a specialized amazon bio-tope. They are mostly herbivores and will absolutely demolish any GDA or other softer algaes in the tank but also like some meaty foods now and again. They prefer warmer temps and softer water but a long time ago, before I knew anything about them; I kept some for a couple of years in a non heated tank that I actually used limestone slabs I collected from the banks of the Missouri river as a complete back of the tank hard scape which made the pH/TDS in the tank off the scale and they were fine for some time. The tank was also kept at 72 degrees.

They will be $25/fish but will offer 6/$140 shipped priority or $160 USPS Express. They will be shipped in an insulated box packed in Kordon breather bags and use polyfil in each bag to suck up all the nasty stuff they excrete. There will be no DOA guarantee on Priority shipped orders. I will ship USPS Express with the fish packed in the same way as above for $30 and will have a DOA guarantee as long as the package is accepted on first delivery attempt and I have pics of the DOA/S in the unopened baggies within one hour of the USPS quoted drop off time, no exceptions. In the event of any DOA's I will either refund the price of the expired fish or reship the amount if the purchaser pays shipping again, this is the purchasers choice unless I have no fish left for replacement then you will get your money back minus shipping charge. Shipping WILL NOT be refunded if there are any problems.

You can PM me, email me at bsmith717@yahoo.com or text/call @ 314-607-3338. I'm always up late and will be happy to discuss any questions you have, I love talking hobby! :)

Here is a link to my journal for these guys over at The Planted Tank, ill post it below here just click on the link! It goes from the beginning to current on my journey with these little guys. :D

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank- ... post928776

Big Poppa

Momma

The babies!
Proteus
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Chicago, IL

Re: FS-L183 Starlight Bristlenose Plecostomus

Post by Proteus »

AND it put me to shame that I didn't treat my group with such a reverence this summer. I put them in the pond, the temperature was 62 degrees when I pulled them out yesterday.

They doubled in size and If I KNEW they were fetching for those prices, I would have been keeping them indoors.

7 of them are now warming up and I'll be putting them into the biocube soon but your group LOOKS AMAZING! Is there a difference between white/blue tint or is it genetic in your group?
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

Proteus wrote:AND it put me to shame that I didn't treat my group with such a reverence this summer. I put them in the pond, the temperature was 62 degrees when I pulled them out yesterday.

They doubled in size and If I KNEW they were fetching for those prices, I would have been keeping them indoors.

7 of them are now warming up and I'll be putting them into the biocube soon but your group LOOKS AMAZING! Is there a difference between white/blue tint or is it genetic in your group?
I knew these were pretty hardy but dang that's crazy.

The blue in the eyes is from the flash if that's what you are talking about.
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

The reason I'm asking is because when I pulled them out, I swear the white tips became more bluish than when they were smaller.

I'm still looking at those fellas and they got the blue tint to the white tips still.

Some are half the size of the biggest ones. So go figure yes they put up with the crazy pond weather and they outlasted a L239, a L340, 3 jaguar catfish adults who perished in the ponds. I got them when they were 1/4 inches now they're like 2 inches or so give or take.

AND what was so cool was that I was able to spot them during nights when their eyes shone red unlike the other fish that was in the pond at that time. It was so cool. Now the tank temperature they're in with the Jaguar catfish is at 78 degrees.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

Did you get your starlights from me?

Maybe if you post up a pix of the tinted fish I could understand better what your trying to convey.
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

I got them from a seller in Florida along with other fish. I will try to post pictures tonight as I need to sex them anyways. :d My plan is to keep them with the Jaguar Catfish

and I just read somewhere Ancistrus Dolichopterus is sometimes MisID'd so I better do some Photo OP and get back to you on that.

Cheers
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

A. dolichopterus (the proper L183) is actually easy to ID, based on the longer dorsal fin, with 9-10 soft rays, where almost all other Ancistrus have 7 soft rays (there are some exceptions, at least one species has 6 soft rays, and I think at least one has 8).

--
Mats
mpfsr
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: ohio

Post by mpfsr »

I get mine today....can't wait again it feels like xmas for me. I have 5 of these from a different breeder and hope to get 2 pairs with the 2 I'm getting from you. They look great in the photos..Makes me more exitied
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

mpfsr wrote:I get mine today....can't wait again it feels like xmas for me. I have 5 of these from a different breeder and hope to get 2 pairs with the 2 I'm getting from you. They look great in the photos..Makes me more exitied
Who is this? You know it will take 1-1.5 yes to be able to sex them.
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

The blue does show to the naked eye but the flash makes it go away on most of my photos. Some of the ray I don't know if its the reflection but I swore when I dropped one of the L183 into a cold pond water with the honeycomb cats, it turned blue as fast then when I put it back in the regular tank water its been used to it turned more white still had the blue tint to it.

Cheers
mpfsr
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: ohio

Re: FS-L183 Starlight Bristle-nose Plecostomus

Post by mpfsr »

bsmith wrote:
mpfsr wrote:I get mine today....can't wait again it feels like xmas for me. I have 5 of these from a different breeder and hope to get 2 pairs with the 2 I'm getting from you. They look great in the photos..Makes me more exited
Who is this? You know it will take 1-1.5 yes to be able to sex them.
oh yes i very aware how long they take to grow..I have several types of BN pleco's. I got 2 off you and 5 from another breeder out of Ashland,WI. His are about 1.25 inches long. both of the ones from you are doing great..they went in a 75g tank with a bunch of neons (blk, Blue, Green). There even eating fresh veggies already which my others don't seem to care for. And watching them battle a live blood worm was very entertaining (pleco lost and swam away scared :)) ). They look amazing and will enjoy very much watching them grow up.

Mike
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

FYI, I'm packing up a few boxes to be dropped off at the PO in the morn for Thursday/Friday/Saturday (I hope the PO doesn't stop Sat delivery, that would kill them IMO). So if you get payment to me within the next two hours (need to have it by 11pm) I can ship yours out tomorrow too! ;)
afkcw
Location 2: Arizona

Post by afkcw »

The six for $150 shipped USPS arrived safely today and they are really cute. Thanks!
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

afkcw wrote:The six for $150 shipped USPS arrived safely today and they are really cute. Thanks!
Nice to see you are a member here. Actually I have been wondering how you got my info to contact me! :)

I'm sure as you can already see, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and tons of great info for hobbiest.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

I have about 10 left so if you want some better contact me quick!
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

I'm packing up a few orders and anyone who makes payment for their fish tonight I will take 10% off the entire order!!! :)

Return to “For Sale (USA & Canada)”